ripping HDCD to which compressed format?
Jan 11, 2005 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xing3ds

100+ Head-Fier
how to rip HDCD audio data without losing its 4bit extra data to a compressed format? using EAC + LAME -> Monkey, FLAC, LAME MP3, or any other???

Many thanks

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 9
If I'm not mistaken, the ripper has to be able to understand HDCD to begin with. None that I know of do. It has to be licensed, and to my knowledge, no one's done so.

That being said, if you could rip a HDCD intact, you'd have to go with FLAC, or some other codec that allowed odd bit resolution. MP3 expects 44.1/16 files, last I checked.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 9
hmmm....
confused.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I wouldn't worry too much about preserving the HDCD encoding. The mp3s and oggs I've ripped from HDCD disks still sound pretty good, in the same way that a lot of HDCD disks will sound really good even without an HDCD player.

If the plan is to rip them with the intent to burn another copy of the CD, then don't use any sort of compression. A straight copy of the disk will preserve the HDCD formatting.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
That being said, if you could rip a HDCD intact, you'd have to go with FLAC, or some other codec that allowed odd bit resolution. MP3 expects 44.1/16 files, last I checked.

LAME accepts high bitdepths too (floating point even), but in the case of keeping the HDCD coding intact no lossy compression can do it. Unless of course there is a software decoder for HDCD which could output in 24-bit standard PCM including the "20-bit" resolution of HDCD (and thus allow lossy compression take advantage of it).

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 9
I just had an idea about this... what about CloneCD, or a similar product? One that makes a 1:1 copy of the disc; and doesn't care what's on it. That should, in theory, preserve the HDCD encoding.

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 9
steph: yes, it does. Doesn't help with storing it in a playable format in your computer / portable player, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
steph: yes, it does. Doesn't help with storing it in a playable format in your computer / portable player, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aye, but someone had mentioned just wanting to make a copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back