Ripping FLAC using EAC?
Aug 12, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #18 of 30

EAC is intended to accurately rip from a CD.  The FLAC conversion is simply an accessory choice of output.  It has nothing to do with EAC.  I regularly rip to WAV from EAC, use Foobar to convert the WAV to FLAC (about a 5-10 second operation), then blow away the extremely large WAV files.

Actually, you don't have to use Foobar. Open EAC, go to "Compression Options," check box that says "Use External Compression Option"  and choose the FLAC encoder from the browser link. This site has some tips on use.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #19 of 30
I know this is an old thread and you likely already have your answer but EAC V1.0 beta 4 from 7.December 2014 works perfectly in Win 8.1 Pro x64. As a matter of fact, I'm ripping a CD with it as I write this post.

May 30, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #20 of 30
 I use EAC and it sounds nice enough though softer for MP3. Can I assume there's no difference between vbr and cbr for mp3?how about joint n stereo difference? As for flac how much sample rate should I use?44,000hkz or 48,000 or 96000hkz? I do notice some hissing on the 96,000 hkz though...not sure if it is because my CD has so many scratches...sweat. Can I safely say flac rips like cd quality whereas MP3 is more enhanced? Weird MP3 sounds more like melody.

About converting to FLAC Im thinking of 48,000hkz as 96,000hkz seems too big and there's welll..some hissing..hmm. Any opinions? Well I'm planning to use it on smart phone or fiiox1. And like what is shared, CD quality backup.

I am confused about the zip and compression. Because mp3 sounds enhanced. Whereas FLAC sounds nearer to CD quality. 

May 30, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #21 of 30
   I use EAC and it sounds nice enough though softer for MP3. Can I assume there's no difference between vbr and cbr for mp3?how about joint n stereo difference? As for flac how much sample rate should I use?44,000hkz or 48,000 or 96000hkz? I do notice some hissing on the 96,000 hkz though...not sure if it is because my CD has so many scratches...sweat. Can I safely say flac rips like cd quality whereas MP3 is more enhanced? Weird MP3 sounds more like melody.

About converting to FLAC Im thinking of 48,000hkz as 96,000hkz seems too big and there's welll..some hissing..hmm. Any opinions? Well I'm planning to use it on smart phone or fiiox1. And like what is shared, CD quality backup.

I am confused about the zip and compression. Because mp3 sounds enhanced. Whereas FLAC sounds nearer to CD quality. 

CDs are 44 so you shouldn't rip at higher. CBR and VBR are very different.

May 30, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #22 of 30

CDs are 44 so you shouldn't rip at higher. CBR and VBR are very different.

But I tried ripping at 44 it didnt sound that identical and clear to the CD as compared to 48 and 96. O.O
How is CBR and VBR different?
For Itunes , should I also put sample rate as 44 instead of 48?

I am basically ripping into EAC mp3 joint/stereo/flac and Itunes mp3.
And to back up into 2 hard disks for storage.

May 30, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 30
  Using EAC should be alright on most drives. CBR is constant bitrate and VBR is variable bitrate.

How about the ripping source, Im referring to the type of laptop where you rip off..not the ripper software. Does newer laptops rip off better quality? Or they are all the same? Cause I'm still on Windows 7 on a $800 + laptop.

Would anyone of you recommend JetAudio ripper? Or stick to EAC better still?
Thank u so much for all the help!^^

May 31, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #25 of 30
Hey this is my first post. 

I see a couple things in this thread that I just wanted to share my research on. 

Lossy = every time you move or listen to a file, a bit of the "data" is lost. Meaning, "Newly ripped" mp3's will sound better then a file you have been kicking around on hard drive to hard drive for 10 years.
Lossless = every time you move or listen to a file, none of the "data" is lost. Meaning, it will always sound the way it did when you created it. 

I have chosen to rip WAV files due to the uncompressed nature of the format. There is a cost in disk space but I am going to see if it makes a difference for me, in sound quality. My thought here is, why use FLAC or any other compression that is adding the over-head of decompressing during listening when I can use WAV's and reduce the toil of my hardware? The disk savings of compression in the form of FLAC files seems marginal so, for the time being I am going to use WAV's. 

My thoughts on EAC, seems like the free open source go to product for FLAC's and as such, if I decide later to move to FLAC, I will be setup already. 

My two cents. 

I currently listen to music while at work. My setup is :

ATH - m50x Headphones
Lyr Amp from Schiit 
FiiO X5

May 31, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 30
  Hey this is my first post. 

I see a couple things in this thread that I just wanted to share my research on. 

Lossy = every time you move or listen to a file, a bit of the "data" is lost. Meaning, "Newly ripped" mp3's will sound better then a file you have been kicking around on hard drive to hard drive for 10 years.
Lossless = every time you move or listen to a file, none of the "data" is lost. Meaning, it will always sound the way it did when you created it. 

I have chosen to rip WAV files due to the uncompressed nature of the format. There is a cost in disk space but I am going to see if it makes a difference for me, in sound quality. My thought here is, why use FLAC or any other compression that is adding the over-head of decompressing during listening when I can use WAV's and reduce the toil of my hardware? The disk savings of compression in the form of FLAC files seems marginal so, for the time being I am going to use WAV's. 

My thoughts on EAC, seems like the free open source go to product for FLAC's and as such, if I decide later to move to FLAC, I will be setup already. 

My two cents. 

I currently listen to music while at work. My setup is :

ATH - m50x Headphones
Lyr Amp from Schiit 
FiiO X5

This is partly true but lossy compression only loses data when it is created or if it somehow becomes corrupted which can happy to anything. Older MP3s don't sound as good because compression has improved a lot over the years.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #27 of 30
  Using EAC should be alright on most drives. CBR is constant bitrate and VBR is variable bitrate.

Hmm....I tried 2 methods.

1. Rip to decompressed WAV directly....sound digital.

2. Rip to FLAC and keep the wav....does not sound so digital.

Am I hearing wrongly? Both methods should be the same right?

I'm trying to rip WAV and FLAC using EAC.

There's this option under Wave option. Double channel on mono playback...do I check that?
What does that sentence mean...does it  make the music on both L and R side, making it appear duplicate/ L and R at the same time.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #29 of 30
  Hey everyone,

I've been ripping to my iTunes library for a while now in ALAC format, and two days ago my laptop hard drive had a physical meltdown that lost all of my data (which I foolishly didn't back up).

I saw that as a sign that now would be a good time to go ahead and re-rip my CDs into FLAC format so that I can rockbox my iPod 5.5gen and never have to deal with iTunes again. I have used EAC a few times in the past on my PC due to finicky CDs that wouldn't stay in my Macbook drive, but I'm not sure if I had setting optimized or anything like that. 

My question is, I found this tutorial (http://filesharefreak.com/tutorials/properly-ripping-to-flac-with-eac-099) online for how to rip to FLAC using EAC. Is that link out-dated or is it actually a good way of doing it? Do you guys have any better suggestions for how to rip my CDs than that?

Thank you!

When I was on Windows I always used dbPowerAmp.
It's not free but it has a ton of options and plugins.

One of the options is to rip a cd to 2 or more different file types at the same time.
You can also send each to different folders if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back