Ripping FLAC in Windows 7 64bit
Dec 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Narynan

Head-Fier
Well I have spent the last 4 hours on Christmas Eve, trying to figure out how to do this. I cant seem to find the details I need. It all seems to be very old info. Now that I am dipping my toes into the higher end of the music spectrum 128/192kbps MP3's just are not doing it anymore.

So, guys and gals. A little help please. Where in the world do I need to start with getting this complete re-rip going?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Dec 25, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Haha.... yeah.... EAC. Yeah I did download that except. Well I forgot all about it.

Ummm how come it only gives me .WAVs though. I did ask for FLAC.

I mean is there a button or something that I am over looking. Maybe there will be an answer waiting for me when I wake up. To much of this tonight.

Dec 25, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 14
Your doing it wrong, that's the problem. And what you are doing wrong is hard to figure out as you haven't posted any related information
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 14
OK, so after a nights sleep I think I can more evenly try to post a thought.

So, I have EAC installed and ready to go. However, when I go to rip the music, the only file format it is out putting in .WAV

Now mind you, I AM using the buttons on the left hand side that say "WAV" and I've also tried "IMG" that one produces an album length WAV file.

When I go to Compressions Options / External Compression ... I have the "Use external program for compression" checked with the \Exact Audio Copy\FLAC\FLAC.EXE and .flac chosen as the file extension.

I know the burned files are .WAV because they .... well they SAY .wav

So, now with a but more information, what the heck am I doing wrong?

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 14
I think that you should take a look at this, Exact Audio Copy Guide

This will help a lot, this includes links as well as other options for FLAC, MP3, and so on. I hope that this helps you out.

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 14
You're getting Wav files because you're pushing the "Wav" button.

You have to push the "Mp3" button and this will give you an output file of whatever compression codec you've chosen in the "Compression Options" menu.

EAC - Compression Options - External Compression tab

You must select "User Defined Encoder" and then point it towards the file location of "flac.exe" This is done in the "Program, including path, used for compression" box.

You must of course download and install the flac codec first. Might as well install it to the EAC program folder so it's easier to find.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narynan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, so after a nights sleep I think I can more evenly try to post a thought.

So, I have EAC installed and ready to go. However, when I go to rip the music, the only file format it is out putting in .WAV

Now mind you, I AM using the buttons on the left hand side that say "WAV" and I've also tried "IMG" that one produces an album length WAV file.

When I go to Compressions Options / External Compression ... I have the "Use external program for compression" checked with the \Exact Audio Copy\FLAC\FLAC.EXE and .flac chosen as the file extension.

I know the burned files are .WAV because they .... well they SAY .wav

So, now with a but more information, what the heck am I doing wrong?

WHY do you not follow the guide in the link that was posted for you.

Dec 26, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 14
Ford2, do you think that guide I posted would help him? I know that I was at a loss in how to set it all up, and after that I was set.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're getting Wav files because you're pushing the "Wav" button.

You have to push the "Mp3" button and this will give you an output file of whatever compression codec you've chosen in the "Compression Options" menu.

EAC - Compression Options - External Compression tab

You must select "User Defined Encoder" and then point it towards the file location of "flac.exe" This is done in the "Program, including path, used for compression" box.

You must of course download and install the flac codec first. Might as well install it to the EAC program folder so it's easier to find.

Well that would be the option I had not tried. THANK YOU! I will give that a run. I guess I just assumed that much like the WAV button, it would give me an MP3. And i KNOW very well that was not what I wanted.

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHY do you not follow the guide in the link that was posted for you.

Maybe because I had not got to that part yet.

Or maybe I made the assumption that .... LIKE pressing the WAV button, it was going to produce an MP3! After having some Quality time with it on the can, I came across that part, but please excuse me getting lost at a new program while trying to do something initially after looking up new info for many many hours.

I did not post to irritate you.
beerchug.gif

However, I think I got things running along swimmingly! Thanks for the info gentlemen
dt880smile.png

Dec 26, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #12 of 14
Do not worry about it, I had no idea what I was doing and I figured it out with the help of people on the board. That is what this is for. If you have any questions regarding EAC, feel free to pm me.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ford2, do you think that guide I posted would help him? I know that I was at a loss in how to set it all up, and after that I was set.

It is an excellent guide,as are a few others out there.

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 14
dbpoweramp is my solution to figuring all that out. It's just too convenient to not ante up and enjoy. I had about 1000 CDs to rip and the integration with accuraterip and tagging was sweet and saved me enough time to end up costing only pennies per hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back