Ripping DVD-A, can someone give me the a good set of instructions?
Aug 20, 2007 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been buying a lot of music that comes with DVD-A bonus discs (or just DVD-A discs for the better mastering in some cases) with outtakes or extra tracks in 24/48 hi-res stereo.

I've searched through Headfi (some good info here but can't find some of the tools needed) and HydrogenAudio to the best of my ability to rip even one disc and I've had no luck. I'm determined to finally convert these stereo discs to FLAC so I can finally hear them.

Does anyone have a detailed set of instructions and tool list that will get this done? I appreciate any help, thanks
rs1smile.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 8
There is one way to rip DVD-A using special plug-ins in WinDVD Player to capture the stream into PCM wave but these plug-ins are illegal to be publish in websites, their names are:

1. DVDAExplorer

2. dvdaripper:
This Add-On is intended for decryption of CPPM-protected DVD-Audio content. Use in pair with InterVideo WinDVD 5/6/7 Player.

3. ppcmripper: This Add-On is intended to capture MLP encoded stream.
Use in pair with InterVideo WinDVD 5/6/7 Player.

Try to search for them somewhere in the internet . .
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancoque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All DVD-As I saw also have a DTS track which you can rip more easily. DTS is lossy while MLP is not. But I doubt that anyone can hear a difference.

Overall, MLP is not harder to rip than DTS. MLP just takes more time, but it is not harder provided you have the tools. Another thing is that MLP trakck overall are mastered MUCH better than DTS (less compression and more dynamics). This has been the case in almost all my DVD-Audio discs.

Aug 25, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 8
J-Pak, let us know if you ever get it working. I figured that by now someone would have a decent guide, or a better hack, or maybe even a piece of software that integrated these tiny chunks so that the process could be performed without a string of command lines followed by multi-channel audio editing.
mad.gif

It happened for DVD-Video... Why not DVD-Audio?

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 8
I tried it some time ago using the WinDVD method. But I didn't get it to work properly. Now I tried again and after many hours I finally found a simple and reliable method. There's a guide on the AviSynth site that seemed to be pretty good but I failed with both methods to convert MLP to WAV. Version 4.2 of the Sonic CinePlayer HD DVD Decoder didn't let me connect the demuxer to the decoder in GraphEdit and while it worked in version 4.3 the decoder crashed when I loaded the AVS file in VirtualDub. Surcode MLP could not run the verification process so it could not produce any temporary WAV files. Then I read somewhere that a program called discWelder would also produce temporary WAV files when you set the project to mirror the audio part to the video part and start authoring the disc. And that finally worked. It produces 6 mono files.

So, this is what I do:
1. Decrypt the disc if it is encrypted (I don't know if I am allowed to name programs here).
2. Use DVD-Audio Explorer to extract the MLP files.
3. Use discWelder to convert the MLP files to WAV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back