Ripping CD's Real Time....Best Method?
Jul 10, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NPoet
Honestly first thing to do before you get a scratch remover... hand soap and water... really I found that if you just soap the bottom well, wash it off and dry with a soft towel it will make the cd readable the vast majority of the time...

odd, but hey... it works
icon10.gif

It'll really depend if the scratching is on the bottom, or if the label side is scratched through. I had to give up on a couple of my cd's with label side scratches.

Jul 10, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 19
Ah yes, basically what the soap does is just removes the little plastic debris created by the scratch ONLY ON THE BOTTOM if the label side is scratched... I sorry :\

cd's are sorta crappy in that if the label side gets scratched it really is an incredibly thin layer of protection to the media

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #18 of 19
in this case use OS X to rip it

OS X has much much better error correction built into it when reading data from drives

where as a windows machine will straight up lock up and die on read errors a mac will go really really slowly but it will get all the data off with a minor error here or there which isnt avoidable because those errors are physically on the disk as damage

Jul 10, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 19
Go to Fry's or Best Buy or something and buy a DiscDoctor/GameDoctor/CDDoctor/ect. They go by a million different names. There are 2, a mechanical one in which you turn a crank and it uses a piece of rubber to rub some plastic off. The electric one just uses a motor to do the same thing. The crank one is $30 and the electric is $50 most places.

It works for me like 99% of the time, the only disc it didn't work on is a PSX game I tried to clean with acetone (-BAD- idea).
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back