Ripping CD's from Itunes into AAC
Jul 18, 2005 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering what software people are using when ripping CD into ACC format. Either at Lossess or 320 AAC. I want to be able to rip the songs and then burn them onto another CD. I noticed when ripping them in Itunes that the file name is unusible and I am guessing there is protection if I tried to take the AAC files from the CD and use them on another computer.

Anyone with this experience and knows a software they use instead of itunes that encodes in AAC format.

Thanks

-Chris

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 5
no, when you rip your own CDs to AAC with iTunes you should be getting unprotected files. If the extension is .m4a, then they're unprotected. .m4p is protected.

Mods, this should probably be under "computer as source."

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 5
yep, the only place i get protected stuff is getting tunes from the itunes music store. damn problematic, as all of that junk can't be MP3Gained. it's too much trouble to do my little workaround (playing it and re-recording it into WAV then converting it back to unprotected AAC lol).

your own CDs should be fine to rip and burn somewhere else, even using itunes. btw if you choose to view the "type" column in the itunes browser, it will show if it is a MP3, an AAC or even a Protected AAC.

Jul 18, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 5
What do you mean by "the filename is unusable"? You can have iTunes just import tracks with their respective name, or have it add tracknumbers to the name. Whatever unprotected music you import to iTunes can be burned to CDDA without problems.

Jul 18, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 5
OK good to know that the file isn't protected. What I meant was the name of the files is dumb. I guess this isn't a issue if I am just uploading into itunes. Just I have downloaded other tracks in the same format and the file name or the tag is usible.

Example would be file from itunes is "2191.m4a"

Where I file from another Downloaded site is

"01-the_grudge_320_aac_cbr_e.m4a "

I would perfer the file names to be something that means something to me. Not just a list of numbers. This is a file from the ipod itself and maybe the files name is different on my home computer. But I was pretty sure that when itunes encodes it, it doesn't gave a usible file name.

Thanks for the information. So all with ipods are using itunes for your ripped CDs, I take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back