Ripping cd to flac & lame mp3 in one process, is it possible?
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I need to rip my cd collection to flac & lame mp3. Currently, I'm using EAC & lame mp3 to rip my cd. Any suggestion to rip flac & lame mp3 in one process? Any other program that will be efficient to do this? How's the setting for flac to get the best file?

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 14
I asked the same question several months ago. I wanted to stick with EAC for the WAV file, and expected to find a way to batch both rips together. I never found an answer. You can save the configs for LAME and Flac in EAC, so switching between the two is easy. But it would be a lot faster if EAC could create the flac and MP3 file off of the same WAV at the same time (or back to back).

I do an MP3 rip first. If no errors are seen, then I'll do a flac rip for the archives. I believe my flac settings are the defaults.

I haven't looked lately to see if a newer version of EAC is out that supports multiple rips from a single WAV. Guess I'll do that now.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Looks like Alleyman may have hit on an answer. (Thanks!) I haven't been to Hydrogen Audio in ages. REACT should do the job. It will take a bit to get it configured correctly. Probably well worth the effort.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On EAC if you want WAV and another compressed format (MP3, ogg, FLAC, etc.) you can just uncheck the delete WAV after compression option ...

True enough, but programs like MAREO and REACT take care of tagging the files for you. If you simply don't delete the WAV files, and run another encoder you will be left with untagged files. Sure there are programs to help you tag all those files, but its more steps, and more chance for things to go awry.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the setting for flac to get the best file?

With "best" you mean smallest file size, right? Cause FLAC are lossless (aka - no quality loss) regardless which setting you use.

Well, you get the smallest file size using this flag (no kidding): Code:

Code:
[left]flac --super-secret-totally-impractical-compression-level[/left]

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably easier to use EAC to flac, then foobar2000 or mediamonkey to convert the flac to mp3.

This sounds like a great solution. I usually do flac then sometime from flac to mp3 as Redo suggested. Let us know if you try something that you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 14
REACT is the way to go. Properly configured, you can just feed it CDs one after the other and it rips, encodes and tags them for you. Configuration is just editing a text file. You can have it produce MP3, Ogg, FLAC etc with ReplayGain.

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably easier to use EAC to flac, then foobar2000 or mediamonkey to convert the flac to mp3.

+1 i do this too

Jul 15, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by korben_dallas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mareo works with EAC and lets you encode the wav files to as many formats as you like, simultaneously.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=52590

I recommend Mareo also, I've used it for a long time and it just plane works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back