Ripping a CD: Head-fi Style!
Jul 24, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #32 of 49
I rip my albums using EAC in Secure mode, and do on-the-fly mp3 encoding. (Does anyone else here use LAME --alt-preset standard?)

I make sure that I don't auto-delete the wav files, though, because I later replace them with FLACs at compression level 5 (used to be level 7), using FLAC frontend.

In this way, I have FLAC files for archive, and mp3 (LAME --alt-preset standard) for my DAP. I only wish I could figure out how to set up EAC so that it can automatically encode to mp3 AND make FLAC files at the same time.

I suppose I could mention what optical drive I'm using to rip. It's a BenQ DW1655 Lightscribe DVD-RW.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Oh, I forgot to mention, I use 'AccurateRip' too. Thats sets up drive offsets.

If there are 'inaudible inconcisitencies', I can't hear them, so why should I care exactly?

You make a good point. I guess for me it's just the idea behind it. I have all of my albums ripped to FLAC to use as an archive of my albums in addition to a means to listen to them. To me I just prefer to make sure the albums are as correct as they can be, bit for bit.

Quote:

I rip my albums using EAC in Secure mode, and do on-the-fly mp3 encoding. (Does anyone else here use LAME --alt-preset standard?)

I make sure that I don't auto-delete the wav files, though, because I later replace them with FLACs at compression level 5 (used to be level 7), using FLAC frontend.

In this way, I have FLAC files for archive, and mp3 (LAME --alt-preset standard) for my DAP. I only wish I could figure out how to set up EAC so that it can automatically encode to mp3 AND make FLAC files at the same time.

I suppose I could mention what optical drive I'm using to rip. It's a BenQ DW1655 Lightscribe DVD-RW.

I use a program called MAREO that EAC calls after it's done ripping each track that transcodes it to LAME --alt-preset standard and FLAC level 5 and then deletes the original WAV file. Takes a bit of time to setup but it's easy sailing from then on.

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irregular Joe

I'm more inclined to do it the other way; Ripping CDs to FLAC with EAC then using foobars encoding function to convert them to 320 mp3s.

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC
I use a program called MAREO that EAC calls after it's done ripping each track that transcodes it to LAME --alt-preset standard and FLAC level 5 and then deletes the original WAV file. Takes a bit of time to setup but it's easy sailing from then on.

Awesome, thanks. I'll give it a try.
cool.gif

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #36 of 49
If you are lazy like me, use Itunes. Just make sure to use Apple Loss Less when importing.

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkJC

You wanna tell us the steps on how to set that up?

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:14 AM Post #38 of 49
15 mins to rip a cd in secure mode?
In secure mode my pc rips a cd and encodes them into flac in about 3 minutes and 40 seconds!
You all must have very bad cd drives or something.

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
15 mins to rip a cd in secure mode?
In secure mode my pc rips a cd and encodes them into flac in about 3 minutes and 40 seconds!
You all must have very bad cd drives or something.

Or you just don't have it set up properly...My primary ripping drive is 52x read, my dvd drive is 24x read. Still, no matter what drive I use, it maxes at about 14x during the operation, and I know for a fact I have it set up properly. Even with brand new cd's that have never been played before, it takes at least 10 minutes start to finish to archive the CD. And the rest of my PC is plenty fast.

Jul 25, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #41 of 49
The error-detection in Secure Mode can be turned down from the default. I don't know how much difference this makes?

Jul 25, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #42 of 49
In my experience, EAC times vary alot based, not only on processor speed, but also on the CD drive. I had 2 similar-but-different Toshiba laptops going at once. One of them had a cpu that was just a hair faster than the other, but they also had different models of CD drive. Both drives were "blessed" by EAC. Leaving errors out of it, the total rip time in one was about twice of that in the other. The results were fine, just the time varied. Various readings I had done somewhere (?) had told me to expect this.

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by SprySpectre
Or you just don't have it set up properly...My primary ripping drive is 52x read, my dvd drive is 24x read. Still, no matter what drive I use, it maxes at about 14x during the operation, and I know for a fact I have it set up properly. Even with brand new cd's that have never been played before, it takes at least 10 minutes start to finish to archive the CD. And the rest of my PC is plenty fast.

Nope, "Error recovery quality" is set to high and secure mode still rips bad cds fine.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by The D
Nope, "Error recovery quality" is set to high and secure mode still rips bad cds fine.

hmmm, interesting. I guess my CD drives just suck then.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #45 of 49
Lots of good points here.... I use EAC in secure mode, testing and copying with AccurateRip. Lots of my CDs are scratched, and I'm planning on putting them in a box and just having them on my hard drive (well, drives, because I'm backing all the data up). The key to this time-consuming task, for me at least, is staying at the computer. I use Skype with a headset to talk to friends, work on my school papers, and surf the net while I'm ripping. When the computer beeps, I check the accuracy of the rip, maybe clean or repair the disc, and move along. This takes almost no time when you're doing other things as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back