Rip, Organize, Listen, Burn Questions
Jul 8, 2005 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Deadfan

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys--
I asked a similar question before, and have now bought an X5 and learned a bit since. I still have some questions and hope you can help.

I'm using EAC to extract tunes from my CD collection to my laptop hard drive and have it set for secure mode. Folks here taught me how to use the freedb function, so I now know how to have EAC/freedb look up the song names, etc. I also download live shows in FLAC format. I have the updated firmware for the X5 so I can actually listen to the FLAC files.

Also, thanks to feedback I got here, I figured out how to use the X5 as my music source at the office and at home by plugging the line out into the stereo.

Here are my two big questions:

1. I've organized my music on both the computer and the X5 in folders that ultimately culiminate either in albums or live shows. I would like the songs to display and play in the correct order, rather than alpha-numerically. For example, how can I extract all of the songs from a CD into a folder for that album, and have them remain and play in order? I've used EAC and created cue sheets but don't know how they should work. Also, wheh I try to burn the songs onto a disc (using Roxio), the songs arrange alphabetically based on their file names instead of in the correct order that they appear on the album. Can someone give me some practical guidance on how to do this to make it easier. Help!!

2. I've just learned how to configure EAC to extract wavs from a CD and compress them to either MP3 or FLAC files. Last night, as I started to extract tunes from my collection, I thought I would extract the WAV file, have EAC automatically compress to MP3 for the X5 w/o deleting the WAV file, and then separately ask the FLAC front end to compress the remaining WAV to FLAC for permanent hard drive storage. Now, since that's such a pain, I'm thinking I should just use the FLAC on my X5 too, since it plays those and could sound better. What are the downsides to using FLAC? Space and battery life? What are people doing?

Thanks in advance, Mike

Jul 8, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Here's another try at the same question:

Using EAC on my computer and a store bought CD, I've learned how to automatically grab song titles from freedb, extract the songs from the CD, and then compress them to FLAC files.

Can anyone tell me how to do that and also organize the songs with tags or whatever so that they stay in order when I try to play back the album on my computer or on my X5?

Thx

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 4
Well, if you use ID3 tags and play your music from that direction the track order is normally taken care of for you.

But maybe you need to play back just by using the files themselves?

Go into EAC>File>Options and then select the filenames tag. You can set the thing up so that it creates a filename that begins with the track number. That keeps the files in each folder in the right order. The trouble comes when you wanna mix tracks from different albums into other folders - you get a whole bunch of track 1, track 2 etc

I can't help you with FLAC files, since I haven't a scooby what they are!

confused.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't use EAC myself so I can't go trough the setting of EAC to tell you what steps you should follow. But I think you can figure that out for yourself.

You should change the settings in EAC so that the filenames have a number with leading 0 infront of them.
E.g.
01 - Bruce Springsteen - The River
02 - Bruce Springsteen - With The Second Song
etc.

Or if you can also leave out the artist name if you want a shorter filename and the folder already has the artist name in it. But the above is the most common used for music filenames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back