RIP my 3rd gen :(
Apr 12, 2006 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

seanohue

500+ Head-Fier
well, after a fateful fall yesterday from the treadmill, my iPod (or some part of it) is presumably dead. I turn it on, the hard drive spins, makes some clicking noises and the screen at first shows the apple then a folder with an ! on it. Now i'm not if this is a HD failure because the HD spins and all, could be a problem with the mainboard as well. Is there any way i can test figure out whether the problem is hard drive or mainboard related? I NEED the data that I have backed up on the drive.

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Bit late now, but this is precisely why you need to backup important stuff, any important files as well as music.

One of only a few reasons digital music loses out to physical music, you can't lose CDs accidentally.

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 14
O wait I just noticed this:

The ribbon cable looks corroded, perhaps that would fix it?

Apr 12, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
One of only a few reasons digital music loses out to physical music, you can't lose CDs accidentally.

But you can break CDs (which has happened to me before), unlike digital music, and then you're SOL.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
O wait I just noticed this:

The ribbon cable looks corroded, perhaps that would fix it?

Could be, but most likely if the HDD is making noises it's kaput. Try to salvage like 40$ out of it on ebay for parts and find something else.

Apr 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
well, after a fateful fall yesterday from the treadmill, my iPod (or some part of it) is presumably dead. I turn it on, the hard drive spins, makes some clicking noises and the screen at first shows the apple then a folder with an ! on it. Now i'm not if this is a HD failure because the HD spins and all, could be a problem with the mainboard as well. Is there any way i can test figure out whether the problem is hard drive or mainboard related? I NEED the data that I have backed up on the drive.

Hey my iPod does the same thing sometimes and it still works. Just shake it hard while your in the process of doing a restore or put it in Disk-Mode.

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtevol1
But you can break CDs (which has happened to me before), unlike digital music, and then you're SOL.

They scratch up quite easily too.

Still doesn't stop them being hard to lose, like I said.

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Man, I'm still pissed I did the same thing to my Aiwa XP-EV501R. I caught the hp cord with my elbow while running on the treadmill and the player went flying into the ground... It still sort of works, but refuses to play tracks past 10 for a lot of CD's.

Best of luck with your iPod! Personally I'd go the eBay route and just get something else.

Apr 13, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Well luckily, i think the HD still works! I can still use it in disk mode! All the files that I put on it I can still access, except my music library. So it's gotta be a problem with the mainboard, but now at least i can backup my files.

Apr 13, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 14
I had the same problem with my 3g 30 gig. I thought it was dead and bought another iPod. Then I went through the troubleshooting steps on the Apple site and restored it and it was like new again.

See ya
Steve

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 14
Hey where is the recovery page? I thought I had fixed it but its still messed up.

Apr 13, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 14
Never mind. Its doomed. Just stays on the Ok to disconnect screen and doesnt change. Guess I'll be in the market for a new HD for it
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 14
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Try everything they suggest in the order they suggest it. With me, the strangest thing made the difference, switching the cable I used to connect. I have no idea why that made a difference, but it did. Perhaps just plugging and unplugging fixed it.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back