Rip DVD into a WAV?
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 11
You can have free and you can have easy but you can't have both.  Here's the free method (for Windows):

1. Rip the DVD
    Most DVDs have copy protection.  You'll need a DVD decrypter to copy the files onto your hard drive.  VideoHelp has free rippers.

2. Extract the MPEG
    After ripping the DVD, you'll have a bunch of files with names like VOB and IFO.  To get the video files you want use VOB2MPG

3. Extract the audio
    Open the video file in VirtualDub (edit: you'll also need the MPEG-2 plug-in)
    File > Save Wav...

And you're done!

Warning!  The free version of VOB2MPG is slooowwwww.  Using the free method will take a couple of hours. 
popcorn.gif

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
2. Extract the MPEG
    After ripping the DVD, you'll have a bunch of files with names like VOB and IFO.  To get the video files you want use VOB2MPG

3. Extract the audio
    Open the video file in VirtualDub
    File > Save Wav...

And you're done!

Warning!  The free version of VOB2MPG is slooowwwww.  Using the free method will take a couple of hours. 
popcorn.gif

You can replace the process with VOB2MPG and VirtualDub with Avidemux, it's fast and it's free software.

File > Open
Open the first VOB file, Avidemux will ask for indexing the file, answer yes, then it will ask for adding the other VOB files, answer yes.
On the left under Audio select PCM
Audio > Save > myfile.wav
If you have multiple tracks you can select which one you want to convert, Audio > Main track
If you want to convert a portion of the track, you can use A and B markers at the bottom.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 11
I have my portable DVD player hooked up to the back of my computer. If not portable with a screen, get a notebook to view the DVD and input the sound to your main computer In my case, the music playback shows up in the software "Audacity"(free). I start recording when and what I want, and upon completion save the WAV file. Live performances are particularly easy to record since each song or selection is usually listed in the DVD menu.

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 11
DVD Decrypter (free) can do this without a lot of manual intervention.  Set it to IFO mode, enable stream processing, and set the option to convert PCM to WAV, and just select the PCM audio stream to decrypt.  This only works if there is an uncompressed audio stream, if it's already in AC3 only then it won't work (but why extract lossy audio to lossless anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back