RIP Coach Randy Walker
Jun 30, 2006 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mateo05

100+ Head-Fier
Northwestern football coach Randy Walker passed away last night, supposedly due to a heartattack. As a student at NU, I had respect for him as a coach of a successful and enjoyable football program. As a member of NUMB (marching band), he dropped in on a few of our rehearsals and expressed his appreciation of our support for the team and was an overall cool guy, which earned even more respect from me. As a sports photographer for the Daily, although I didn't cover football due to NUMB, covering spring football and hearing the writers talk on basketball roadtrips just confirmed the sentiment.

I know we have other NU people on Head-fi. I hope I'm not alone when I say he will be greatly missed
frown.gif

Linkage

59402722.jpg

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 3
I heard about this on ESPN this AM...too young to die, I think. Wow....

I'm a big Michigan football fan, and we've had trouble with NW for the last few years thanks to him. With the academic requirements, it's a tough place to have a winning football program. I had a lot of respect for him.

It's a shame...

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 3
How did I miss this thread? Coach Walker will definitely be missed...going to Northwestern football games was quite entertaining, especially the win over Wisconsin last season and Ohio State two seasons ago. Definitely some of the best college memories I'll have. Guess we'll see how Coach Fitzgerald will fill the position, but Coach Walker's absence will most definitely be noticed for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back