RIP Ahmet Ertegun
Dec 15, 2006 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stewgriff

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know how many of you know about this guy, but he was the founder of Atlantic Records with his brother Nesuhi, and he founded and supported many of the best musicians in the 20th century. Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Cream...the list goes on and on. Always passionate about music, he had a lifelong love of jazz and became close friends with many of his artists. Wish there were more like him in the industry with his fire and dedication; it'd be such a better place today. RIP...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061215/..._ahmet_ertegun

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, he's an obscure figure. But Ertegun was still a (friendly) giant in the recording industry.

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 10
He may not be a household name, but Ahmet Ertegun has had plenty of coverage in Rock & Roll documentories. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've seen a documentory on Atlantic Records itself. His character had a prominent roll in the movie "Ray". Ahmet was definitely a heavyweight in the music business.

Dec 15, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 10
He's doin' the messaround in a better place now...........

God bless Ahmet Ertegun. He's the reason that so much of the best of 60's American pop/soul music got recorded. He and Jerry Wexler ought to have their own wing in the Smithsonian........

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 10
Apparently he suffered the head injury that eventually lead to his death while attending a Rolling Stones concert. At age 83.

I hope I die still doing what I love.

Oh, and poster #2, I wouldn't call the founder of Atlantic Records "obscure" at all.

Dec 15, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and poster #2, I wouldn't call the founder of Atlantic Records "obscure" at all.

If you ask ten people on the street who someone is and nine don't know who he is, he's obscure in my book-at least for purposes of a remembrance thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back