Rio Karma Satisfaction and Questions
Oct 12, 2006 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mosh37

New Head-Fier
After reading posts on this forum, I took a daring plunge and purchased a used Rio Karma from ebay. I had purchased a reconditioned 5G Ipod Video prior, and was just bugged by the SQ (Although I did not try Rockbox on it.)

Anyhow, I'm glad I did the researched because I am completely happy with Rio Karma and the customizability.

I know that this is thoroughly discussed already, but I am still inconclusive as to whether to switch from MP3 to OGG. I tried using the recommended settings at Hydrogen Forums for Lame VBR with EAC, but for some reason I hear this strange muffled sound on certain parts of certain songs, like a fly just went from my right to left ear. Previously I was using "Uberstandard" settings which doesn't seem to give me that problem. Perhaps I should switch back. Any suggestions?

Any recommended EQ settings that I can play around with. I am just using the original earbuds at this point. I noticed that I definately have to change EQ if I am using my tiny speakers vs. those earbuds, so I think it probably varies from person to person-- and equipment to equipment.

Thank you to this forum.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 8
I like and use ogg. I a/b them (mp3/ogg) back in the day.

Use the search, I know for a fact there are posts about the Karma EQ settings, but would have to search for it too.

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 8
well first off, i would say treat the rio karma very carefully. its harddrive issue is infamous and i experienced it myself. have to bang it with my hand for it to work.

ogg for the most part only sound better than mp3 for lower bitrates like 128kbs and 192kbs, so if you like to save space. the problem is it takes more cpu processing power so using ogg will incure lower battery time. its hard for human ears to tell the diff at 256kbs and 320kbs. i actaully would like to use ogg 500kbs for music backup, if only the format was more widely supported, but its not. i'm tired of the raw and harsh midrange sound of mp3 encodings.

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Bang it
blink.gif
You must be joking...

What about depressing the reset button with the tip of a pin?

I use ogg 256 and did numerous back-and-forth testing before selecting it over the 256 mp3. Ogg to my ear consistently sounded superior.

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi,

Banging was recommended by Rio, and has worked for many karma owners with a stuck hard drive. Re-set does not do this. Go to http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?act=SC&c=5 to find everything you need to know about Karma's including "banging" and EQ setup etc.

Great player, but mine went kaput 6 weeks ago. Fortunately I had an extended warranty from Dixons and they gave me a full refund even after 2 years, since they naturally couldn't replace it.

Incidentaly I hate extended warranties and DAPs, and maybe printers, are the only items I personaly would get one for.

Great player, wish they still made 'em.

Cheers

John

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 8
I've never had to bang my karma back to life, but that's amazing to me that the manufacturer suggested doing so. Thanks for the link. I've not seen that site in a very long while.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 8
Mine is still plugging along.

FLAC and no EQ for me.

IMG_0536.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back