Rio Karma or iRiver H120
Dec 17, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #31 of 35
i own a karma, but in retrospect, i wish i had gone w/ the h120. mine has had reliability issues as well, and IMO its just not worth the risk, especially when the h120 w/ rockbox has even more features now. plus the long/thin design is much more pocketable than short/thick.

Dec 18, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #32 of 35
I would have to go with the iRiver option myself.

I'm actually considering putting up my MicroPhoto up for grabs to fund this.

Once the Rockbox enters the equation you now have .flac support and gapless playback on a player that is still supported by a company that is still in business. I see that they released new firmware for the H1xx series just this month. The ability to boot into either the legacy system or Rockbox seems to make it a very versatile choice.

For the etree denzien this player seems to be quite a wonderful choice. You also have an Optical output to feed various DAC's or Home systems which I find quite attractive.

I can't wait to see the explosion of discussion 'round these parts when Rockbox is successfully ported to the iPod!!
etysmile.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammin72
You also have an Optical output to feed various DAC's or Home systems which I find quite attractive.

The optical output, FLAC playback, and true analog line out are my favorite parts of this player.

Quote:

I can't wait to see the explosion of discussion 'round these parts when Rockbox is successfully ported to the iPod!!
etysmile.gif

The newest Rockbox FW on the H120/140 has an iPod theme. When used, the screen looks identical to the 4G monochrome iPods. It's awesome!

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #34 of 35
Lemme just put it like this:

I'm on my third karma, but: my first's hard drive died within two months, then my rma'ed one was stolen, and I bought another one. I've been on the same karma for two years now, and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

The Iriver had to be modified to even come close to the versatility of the karma (IE Rockbox: gapless and lossless). The karma was exceptionally good when it came out. Rockbox still doesn't have a 5-band eq...

Dec 18, 2005 at 10:55 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Achtunghoy
Lemme just put it like this:
The Iriver had to be modified to even come close to the versatility of the karma (IE Rockbox: gapless and lossless).

Eh, by your definition, if you've ever flashed the firmware on your Karma, then you too have 'modified' your Rio :-\ Rockbox is just a firmware patch/flash. No screwdrivers needed
biggrin.gif

You are right about the Karma's parametric EQ. It is it's only feature over the irivers.... granted a very important feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back