Rio Karma issue
May 21, 2006 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I haven't been able to get my karma to connect to my pc and recognize all its tracks on rio manager for several monthes. The arrow that normally lights green to transfer tracks stays gray and the text in the lower right corner states "Over: 0 Bytes" in red. I cannot access the rio karma at all in fact. What's the deal? I have rio manager 2.90 installed. I can't recall if I need to install anything else (or if I forgot to). I'm running xp sp2 and it does recognize the rio karma when I sit it in the cradle with the usb cable plugged in, but then another window pops up (over the task bar) stating that the device may not work properly...maybe I need to update my usb drivers?

Thanks for your help. By the way, the rio manager I installed is a fresh install.

May 21, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 13
Try re-flashing the firmware on the player, although it could be a much more difficult issue if the HDD died.

May 22, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Try re-flashing the firmware on the player, although it could be a much more difficult issue if the HDD died.

The HDD isn't dead, I have it loaded with music and it works...for the most part. How would I go about re-flashing the firmware if I cannot get it to connect to my pc (make that two pc's).

May 22, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 13
It seems like that drivers for the Rio Karma aren't installed. Did you install the RMM using the CD that came with the Karma?

May 22, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orestes
It seems like that drivers for the Rio Karma aren't installed. Did you install the RMM using the CD that came with the Karma?

Not on the laptop. I downloaded it (rmm) from rio's website. I can't seem to get onto rio's site at the moment...

edit: I download and installed the usb drivers and the rio drivers...still, no luck. RMM simply does not load the content from my rio karma onto rmm so I can manage it. I'm at a loss....

edit2: I got the karma to work with my desktop. It locked up on me once but after rebooting the desktop I was able to erase most of my mp3's. It locked up when I tried to erase some flacs. Is there anyway possible to clean up the HDD and start clean? Sorta like a format option?

May 23, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 13
1) Remove all of the Rio Software installed on your computer.
2) Make sure to disconnect your Karma.
3) Download and install this: http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sup...are_Ver261.exe
4) Run Rio Internet Unpdate.
5) Connect Rio Karma.
6) Run RMM.

There's a reformat option in RMM. I think it's under Tools.

May 23, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

1) Remove all of the Rio Software installed on your computer.
2) Make sure to disconnect your Karma.
3) Download and install this: http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/sup...are_Ver261.exe
4) Run Rio Internet Unpdate.
5) Connect Rio Karma.
6) Run RMM.

There's a reformat option in RMM. I think it's under Tools.

Thanks dude, I really appreciate it! For some reason, the website wouldn't come up yesterday, but i'm grabbing the file right now.

May 23, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 13
You're welcome.

Btw, make sure that you download version 2.61. The newer versions don't come with the drivers. I know you can download the drivers as a separate package/installer, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

Just DL the older version then run the updater.
k1000smile.gif

May 23, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

You're welcome.

Btw, make sure that you download version 2.61. The newer versions don't come with the drivers. I know you can download the drivers as a separate package/installer, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

Just DL the older version then run the updater.
k1000smile.gif

Damn, no wonder it wont work on the laptop. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out. I think my karma is in need of a reformat, hopefully that'll help out with the HDD...its been skipping on flac files and acting buggy lately (ugh...I hope I can replace this karma if/when it dies).

May 23, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Damn, no wonder it wont work on the laptop. Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works out. I think my karma is in need of a reformat, hopefully that'll help out with the HDD...its been skipping on flac files and acting buggy lately (ugh...I hope I can replace this karma if/when it dies).

Yup, that's why it wasn't working on your laptop.
biggrin.gif

Skipping on flac playback... hmmm... check if you have the latest firmware.

I hope everything goes well. Good luck!

May 23, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 13
When my karma was dying, it wasn't skipping. That sounds like firmware or software issue. Mine was flat out crashing or rebooting. I don't imagine that the player would be smart enough to just skip over part of a song if it were a hard drive issue.

May 24, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Yup, that's why it wasn't working on your laptop.
biggrin.gif

Skipping on flac playback... hmmm... check if you have the latest firmware.

I hope everything goes well. Good luck!

ahhh. My usb ports are shot on my mobo (earlier incident). I decided to hold off on this until I swap out the mobo, hopefully this weekend it'll get done. I can't get anything working with my laptop because I cannot find the driver for the network controller.

Yes, I'm having a lot of pc issues
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again, I bookmarked this thread.
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 13
I just figured out what was wrong. The usb port on the cradle is bad. I just tried plugging the usb cable directly to the karma and it works everytime (five times in a row). I've never been able to plug my karma via the usb port on the cradle five times in a row in the last five monthes. Is this common?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back