Rio Karma arrived , sound quality impressions ( not so good as it's told to be ..)
Mar 15, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
What the hell does the width do anyway? I have mine set down to 1.

"width" it's supposed to widen the range of the eq'ing level on top and bottom of the the relative "center"

Mar 15, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 62
Here's another recent thread where the author places the sound output of Karma ahead of all others.

eek.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #36 of 62
I'm willing to bet that it's possibly FOM syndrome.

But it's also possible that when people use the Karma they use superior sounding file formats like OGG and FLAC, and harp based on that.

Also, the EQ might raise the perception of the sound quality because it can ultimatley achieve a more agreeable sound to more people than just about any other DAP out there.

Mar 16, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #37 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Tank X
I'm willing to bet that it's possibly FOM syndrome.

But it's also possible that when people use the Karma they use superior sounding file formats like OGG and FLAC, and harp based on that.
Also, the EQ might raise the perception of the sound quality because it can ultimatley achieve a more agreeable sound to more people than just about any other DAP out there.

indid

anyhow strange that few have noticed the flaws
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
Since the Karma is a DAP and not a CD player, i wonder if anyone has done a comparison against other DAPs.
rolleyes.gif

as yet blessingx pointed out gsferrari reviewed Karma and Ipod here side by side ; I missed this long review too before getting the karma and wiriting mine
regarding his review , my ears tell me that also the line out of the karma isn't that good and have the flaws carries quite same sound shortcomings of the headphones out ; shows to be a little bit cleaner then hp out though.

Mar 16, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
I think the problem is that boodi isn't it comparing it to other DAPs. I mean every DAP has some 'dirt' to its sound. For example, some people accuse iRiver of sounding too warm, and other people accuse iPod of sounding bassless and boring. I think it is normal that the Karma should have some weakness, but it's not a big one for most users.

I've never heard an iRiver referred to as "warm". I always found mine cooler and almost "glassy" sounding at times. Finally, pairing it with the right amp satisifed me. Everybodies ears are different....

Anyways, I've heard zens, ipods, irivers, and archos players. IMO, they really are all reasonably "close" to each other in sonic performance. I think these minor differences are accentuated for some people when the unit has a slight coloration that does not sit well with the listener's tastes.

Mar 18, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #39 of 62
Thus far, not overwhelmed but I'd say it's good, and I like the way the player works quite a lot. Rio Manager is pretty painless seeming for the moment. The hardware looks and feels Fisher-Price, but it seems to work very well. Although it's huge and positively comical next to the NW-HD3, it fits nicely in the hand... and I shouldn't forget to mention the OS beats the living crap out of the Sony. Soundwise, I'm not concrete in my opinions at this stage. It's say the sound is good, but I might even venture to say it's not 'the best' because there is something about the sound I can't yet put my finger on. More scientific tests will come later in a few weeks, but this is just a brief opinion using the Omega II and the Qualia.

riohor.jpg

The Konishiki of DAPs...
[size=xx-small]And that's the 40Gb iPod alongside![/size]

Edit: In any case, comments about sound aside, I really like the way it works. The OS is logical, quite intuitive and smooth in operation. Despite the size advantage, the NW-HD3 is set to collect dust, the Karma's a better working player by quite a large margin. Shame it won't fit in my pocket...

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I really like the way it works. The OS is logical, quite intuitive and smooth in operation.

yes..the software is simple to work with , lot of features, intuitive, fast ( I can't quite imagine a thing I'd want on the Karma that's not there )

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #41 of 62
I'll post it here instead of opening a new thread , I have a weird probem with my Rio player the Width on EQ Setup won't set on 1.4
ex if i set it on 1.4 then i press Done and re-enter on EQ SETUP it's 1.2 ..
confused.gif
. it is the only width that won't set, it won't set on any of the 5 eq. freqs. it reverts back on 1.2.
firmware is updated to the last one.
Have you any idea on wy this happens?

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Thus far, not overwhelmed but I'd say it's good, and I like the way the player works quite a lot. Rio Manager is pretty painless seeming for the moment. The hardware looks and feels Fisher-Price, but it seems to work very well. Although it's huge and positively comical next to the NW-HD3, it fits nicely in the hand... and I shouldn't forget to mention the OS beats the living crap out of the Sony. Soundwise, I'm not concrete in my opinions at this stage. It's say the sound is good, but I might even venture to say it's not 'the best' because there is something about the sound I can't yet put my finger on. More scientific tests will come later in a few weeks, but this is just a brief opinion using the Omega II and the Qualia.

riohor.jpg

The Konishiki of DAPs...
[size=xx-small]And that's the 40Gb iPod alongside![/size]

Edit: In any case, comments about sound aside, I really like the way it works. The OS is logical, quite intuitive and smooth in operation. Despite the size advantage, the NW-HD3 is set to collect dust, the Karma's a better working player by quite a large margin. Shame it won't fit in my pocket...

finally, FINALLY, you get a Karma.
smily_headphones1.gif

it's good and stuff. when you consider the sound quality, give the EQ some play, it's way beyond any other...

for me, the preset "Trance" is pretty good for electronica-style music

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #43 of 62
What's been consistently mentioned is that the sound quality of this player is the best. The issue I suppose is whether the sound quality is good, or whether merely the flavour is more adjustable. If the quality isn't as good, then the adjustability doesn't make it any better. For sound quality considerations, I don't consider the EQ as a component of that, although obviously it's an important part of adjusting what you want out of the sound.

As far as the adjustability is concerned, it is easily the most comprehensive of any player I've seen.

I do like the usability of the player, combined with some features which are nice to have. Although the HD3 will see considerably less use primarily because I find it an absolute PITA for general operation, it is worrying to note at this point that even the HD3 seemed to edge ahead of the Karma by a whisker in certain aspects of core sound quality. I haven't paid too much attention yet, will do more tests later.

Apart from the fact that I was curious and the price was low, I had a definite use for this player based the claims of superior sound quality (and other people who probably read yours) and also the adjustability. I'll definitely keep you posted on what I think.

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

What's been consistently mentioned is that the sound quality of this player is the best. The issue I suppose is whether the sound quality is good, or whether merely the flavour is more adjustable. If the quality isn't as good, then the adjustability doesn't make it any better. For sound quality, I don't consdier the EQ.

ok, whatever, i'm still interested in your objective option on each angle because you put in the same kind of effort.

you know my/our position on this one.

Mar 20, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I'll post it here instead of opening a new thread , I have a weird probem with my Rio player the Width on EQ Setup won't set on 1.4
ex if i set it on 1.4 then i press Done and re-enter on EQ SETUP it's 1.2 ..
confused.gif
. it is the only width that won't set, it won't set on any of the 5 eq. freqs. it reverts back on 1.2.
firmware is updated to the last one.
Have you any idea on wy this happens?

no one has seen somewhere the same problem ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back