Rio Karma Appreciation Thread
Jun 18, 2005 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

brian183

100+ Head-Fier
Yeah after a couple hours of listening to a 4G ipod and several beers I've decided to make an appreciation thread to the rio karma. This stupid ipod my sis bought blows compared to my karma. LOL please forgive my rage towards the ipod. It is a very good player but it just can't compare to the karma.

gapless playback
rio DJ
flac support
excellent headphone out

I'm gonna go to sleep tonight while holding my karma.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 14
It seems like every thread on this forum has been a Karma appreciation thread ever since stores stopped carrying them.

Jun 18, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 14
lol sorry.

gimme a break I'm drunk
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian183
This stupid ipod my sis bought blows compared to my karma.

1. Does an amped karma sound better than an amped ipod?
2. Does an unamped karma sound better than an amped ipod?

I ask the 2nd question because the karma dock isn't really portable but the sik din is.

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 14
I've always wanted a Rio Karma, but from many users, I've heard that they break down really easily. HD problems, weak plastic encasement, and glitchy OS. Rio Karma, I agree has the best compatibilities especially for those concious about quality. So I'm still really sketchy whether I should buy the Rio Karma and turn out to be nothing but disappointment.

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gords

I ask the 2nd question because the karma dock isn't really portable but the sik din is.

Well setting the karma's volume to 29 is pretty close to line-out quality. If only someone could come up with a pocketdock for the karma.

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

EDIT: OOOPS misread post!!

No.
No.

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

my opinion and answer is a no to both .
prefer the karma to the ipod for an higher usability ( this can be personal )

Jun 18, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Well setting the karma's volume to 29 is pretty close to line-out quality. If only someone could come up with a pocketdock for the karma.

Ok, for others who have heard both, how does the Karma amped (via headphone-out with volume set to 29) sound compared to the ipod amped (via line-out)?

Jun 18, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fake
Does an unamped Karma , tweaked with EQ , sound overall more useable
tongue.gif
and preferable and maybe better then an unamped ipod ?

maybe
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Ok, for others who have heard both, how does the Karma amped (via headphone-out with volume set to 29) sound compared to the ipod amped (via line-out)?

well .. pass me this is a weird question you ask..

anyhow I'll say : line out doesn't really improve that much on headphones out of the Karma ( I've done a bit of testing some time ago to form and express this opinion , which is , again, imo )
at the point that it can sound quite undistiguishable or one could even prefer hp out ( tested with an amp ) ..

KARMAhpout-amp sound worse then IPODlineout-amp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
no amp can add gapless playback to my dream theater CDs.
biggrin.gif

yes , Dream Theater , nice band .. mmm ...
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Here's a question.

Does the Rio Karma sound better unamped with a pair of Superfi 5 Pros/E4c than an unamped iPod with the Superfi Pros/E4c?

I don't really know for sure, but I think I can guess.

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 14
From my brief time with and iPod 4G & Karma listening through E3C, I can say this:

I could easily tell the difference between the iPod headphone out vs. the line out to my Denon AVR1600 receiver.

I cannot tell the difference between the Karma dock line out and the Karma headphone out set at 29.

Strangely, I had a difficult time telling any significant difference between the iPod and the Karma sound-wise. This leads me to believe that the Karma's headphone out set to 29 is a VERY close approximation of it's line out. Not many people will say that about the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back