Rio Karma 20 - Initial Thoughts
Oct 30, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 54
Sounds ugly!

If you ever have a problem like that again, you should try to boot in recovery mode (hold down the menu button, turn the player on). If you can get into recovery mode, you are in good shape. If not, you may have more of a problem (such as a bad drive).

Once in recovery mode, it's relatively painless to reflash the firmware (same as doing an upgrade). If it still acts funky after a reflash, there is probably something very bad going on!

Oct 30, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by ian
If you ever have a problem like that again, you should try to boot in recovery mode (hold down the menu button, turn the player on).

Thanks for the tip. I hope never to experience a problem like that again.

Namaste,
McE

Nov 5, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #33 of 54
OscrDGrch, ian, or mmortal03, whoever wants to answer this
smily_headphones1.gif
:

Does the Karma fit in your pocket? If so, easily? I know it's thicker than most player so I don't want to feel like I'm cramming a book in my pants.
tongue.gif

If you can't, how do you carry it around?

Nov 5, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #34 of 54
How's the SQ on it, guys?

That's my main concern. It seems as if the restarting thing is just in a few specific Karma's received by only a few unfortunate people.

I'm very seriously considering the Karma, as I require WinVorbis support for a portable. So it's either that or the iHP-120. I'm not quite sure which to go with yet. I like how small the Karma is and it seems to have quite a plethora of features like the VU meter.
smily_headphones1.gif

This thread has been very informative, as I've been lurking around it the last couple of days.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #35 of 54
One q for oscar real, if he can answer it:

Is the EQ truly parametric?

(does it contain frequency controls, gain controls and q controls? ...for each of the 4 bands)

...or is it semi-parametric, or just set frequencies?

I'd just like some clarification. I doubt I'd use the EQ, but if it is a fully parametric 4 band EQ, that'd be incredible from a DAP.

Nov 5, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #36 of 54
Rizmu,
I find it completely pocketable. When I carry it with me, it is always in my pocket.

CrawlingEye,
It is a 5 band fully parametric EQ. Under EQ Setup you can change the Center/Width of the bands. Then you choose the level under one of the 3 custom presets. You can also change it to bass/treble mode.

I find the sound quality fantastic. It has replaced all of my other mp3 player devices because it sounds darn good. I use the dock at home connected to my speakers and portably when I'm at work or on the go.

Nov 5, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by ian

CrawlingEye,
It is a 5 band fully parametric EQ. Under EQ Setup you can change the Center/Width of the bands. Then you choose the level under one of the 3 custom presets. You can also change it to bass/treble mode.

I find the sound quality fantastic. It has replaced all of my other mp3 player devices because it sounds darn good. I use the dock at home connected to my speakers and portably when I'm at work or on the go.

Thank you, Ian.
It seems this will be my upcoming DAP. I'll see if I can squeeze it into a Christmas present or perhaps pick it up soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by CrawlingEye
Thank you, Ian.
It seems this will be my upcoming DAP. I'll see if I can squeeze it into a Christmas present or perhaps pick it up soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck Crawling Eye. You will not be sorry, I just recently exchanged my Zen Xtra 30gb for this and that has more capacity.
But I was willing to sacrifice 10gb less for what is Karma's worth.
It's a good choice.

Nov 6, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #39 of 54
Does the Karma mount as an external drive so you can drag and drop to it?
Or do you have to use proprietary software to move music onto it?
If the latter is true, can you transfer the songs off of the Karma, and onto a computer other than the one it was originally set-up with?

Nov 7, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #40 of 54
I have the same question as Akar. Can the Karma be used as a storage device? Can it transfer files (documents, pictures, etc.) from computer to computer? If yes, would the dock and additional software (Rio Taxi) be needed for this?

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by GSTom1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Karam can transfer non-music files, but you have to install software (Rio Taxi) to accomplish this.

Try reading the Rio Karma forums to see if you can find out more:

Rio Taxi?

confused.gif

You're in a tie-break GSTom1, I tried e-mailing and PM'ing you but you have both turned off. Can you enter your 3 numbers in at http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=8

Good luck!

Nov 9, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by OscrDGrch
I've had the ER-4P/S for a few days now. As expected, they are easier to drive. I've been using them primarily with the Karma but have sampled them with other sources as well (Echo Indigo + foobar2000 0.7.2b8, Grado RA1 + Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M, etc.). The Ety's are awesome sounding but I'm finding them uncomfortable after an hour of use. I'll be experimenting with the small and large foam eartips as well as modding the flanged eartips.

Are the ER-4P's the perfect match for the Karma? Quite possibly and definitely the closest I've achieved so far. Will I still use the Sennheiser or Ultrasone 'phones with the Karma? Definitely, they still deliver the goods albeit near the top of the volume scale. All of these cans offer excellent isolation with a minimum of leakage. Being able to switch between the headphones and earphones depending on the situation is the ticket for me.

Namaste,
McE

OscrDGrch, I just read this post. I'm planning on using my Etymotic ER-4S with the Karma. How does the Karma work with it, compared to the 4P and other phones? Do you have to max it out or does the Karma still have plenty of power?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back