Rio Carbon vs. Zen Micro. Microdrive Player
Nov 24, 2004 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

auz86

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to buy a small microdrive mp3 player. Since I commute quite a while to get to highschool, Im looking for something pretty small. So far, I'm looking most closely at the Rio Carbon and the Creative Zen Micro. Im willing to spend the extra 20-30 bucks for the Micro, but im not paying any more.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

-Austin

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 15
What criteria? I can tell you which one I picked for me (kind of obvious), but if you gave us a little more information about what you're looking for, you'll get better results. Each player has its good and bad aspects.

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 15
I'm going for the Zen Micro (getting it for X-Mas!).
I already tried one out and it was amazing. BTW, it looks A LOT better in person that in pics, and it's really TINY compared to the pics, also. I didn't have any problems with the touch pad being too sensitive and it was on Medium. I like the ZM over the Carbon because the battery is removable, it has FM radio, OTF playlists, and it has a Smart Sound feature. "Enabling Smart Sound plays back all the tracks at roughly the same level.." So, it could be helpful. This is from: http://www.shawnprince.com/index.php?p=82
You can also get the Manual from:
http://files.americas.creative.com/m...cro-MANUAL.pdf

So, this is just my opinion
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 15
There have been several topics about both these players and there advantages/disadvantages. I recon you could better search in those instead of starting a new topic.

I like the carbon more since it has more batterylife, a more quality-build feel, plug and play, and it was cheaper too. I guess the Micro is a very good option, but I hate the fact that you have to use software to load your music... We can't decide which of these two your best choice will be, since a choice is made on personal level...

Nov 24, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 15
I was in your situation, and I chose the carbon (the carbon was actually more expensive for me). Drag and drop is so great, and syncing with WMP is so easy (not sure zen micro syncs yet).

OTF playlists is good and so if FM radio, but I thought a double sized battery (almost) is more important to me, as I never listen to the radio and just listen to my whole music collection.

Carbon navigation is top notch, but the micro and ipod mini are a bit easier, as it's quicker to scroll through menus etc. but I love the tactile buttons, as touch buttons can be a real pain when it's in the pocket.

Think what you want more, removable battery or longer lasting battery, touch buttons or tactile buttons, jog dial or touchpad etc.

Nov 24, 2004 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for your replies. I really do like the functionality of drag-n-drop as I like to keep things simple and avoid opening additional programs. One of my main concerns is size, and pocketability. I currently live in Sweden, and the Radio totally sucks here. In fact, there is only about 4 music stations and they are all top-40. Im going back to the U.S. and Im hoping to pick up either the Carbon or the Micro. Also, I'll be heading back to the U.S. for college in a little over half a year, and I may want to listen to local/college radio.

Nov 25, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Buy a Carbon, then go and buy a good portable FM radio with the money you save over the Micro. They're cheap and tee-niny now-a-days.

Nov 25, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Buy a Carbon, then go and buy a good portable FM radio with the money you save over the Micro. They're cheap and tee-niny now-a-days.

Still, that would be two things that's being carried. He did say "my main concerns is size, and pocketability."
The Zen Micro is VERY small, too. I've seen it and I was surprised at how tiny that thing was!

Even though the Zen Micro is not a true UMS device, I would rather get it than the Carbon because with UMS devices you won't get the many features you would with a non-UMS one. Here's a quote from Harvey (Nomad forums) comparing the USB Mass Storage compability of the Zen Micro and the Muvo2 5GB FM, which is also a UMS device like the Carbon:
Quote:

The Zen Micro provides the up to 2GB partition for data transfer when you need it. If must have a device that is USB Mass Storage, you may want to look at the MuVo² 5GB FM. It is coming soon. If the 2GB partition is adequate for you, you'll probably be better off with the Zen Micro as the Music Library index will enable you to use the player with greater content capacity.

Hope this helps a little...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 15
The Carbon. Slightly better audio, you can get it for $205, and Rio DJ is the best thing I've ever seen. Rio DJ would be the real deciding factor for me.

I never saw the point of a radio on these players.. I got one so I didn't have to hear what the DJs on the air forced on me. JMO.

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 15
I'd go for the micro. I've seen the pictures, and to be honest it looks square and pretty bad. But when i saw it for real it looks reeeeaaaallllyyy good and it is VERY small. Loads more features and a program and firmware upgrade coming soon, the micro is the one to go for. Check out the creative site here.
eggosmile.gif

Hope that helps,

Nov 30, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 15
I'd recommend the Micro, of course it was my review that was quoted earlier in the thread. It does sync with WMP which is all I use and does support at least a version of DnD. It won't transfer the folders in tact but the contents make it over just fine. Size wise it's tops.

Nov 30, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 15
I’m not sure if this is a concern, but I believe the Rio Carbon only comes with a 90 day warranty while the Zen Micro comes with a one-year warranty. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

rolleyes.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Have both, have had the Carbon about a month and just got the Micro today. Got the carbon because I loved the Karma, unfortunatly the 20gb was too small. I love the form of the carbon, but there is just something about it that doesn't satisfy. It sticks sometimes when a button is pushed and navigation is sometimes a pain. Battery life seems endless which is great, but so far (having had a sneaky listen to the Micro) the sound of the Micro is just so much more punchier and clear. Anyway, early days, shall let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back