Rio Carbon or Zen Micro?
Jan 13, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #31 of 56
i apologize for my earlier post, ojj. i misinterpreted your tone (not that i should have responded that way in any case). ygpm

i think he probably meant to say he's going with the carbon, and it was just a typo. my guess, at least

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzdevil11
I think that I'm going to go with the Micro. I'm more a pick it up and go type of guy so all the extra bells and whistles on the micro wouldn't prove to be much of an added incentive. Thanks for all of the input everyone!

Ha ha...oops. Sorry I meant to say Carbon
eek.gif
This is what happens when you post quickly as your director walks by during work hours.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
i apologize for my earlier post, ojj. i misinterpreted your tone (not that i should have responded that way in any case). ygpm

i think he probably meant to say he's going with the carbon, and it was just a typo. my guess, at least

NP, ygpm2

Your right, it was a typo
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
[...] to tell the truth it doesnt matter that much if you get one or the other, just as long as you dont get an ipod mini
600smile.gif

I think iPod mini isn't bad too... His navigation is great and personally I think his looks are nice too. I like everything about the mini, exept the battery life. But I found out 6 hrs is long enough for me during school days, only on vacation it's a bit of a problem, but i'll manage.
Ofcourse I wouldn't buy it if I bought it new, the mini is undeserved the most expensive. But I can get the Mini as good as new in my neighboorhood for only €170 ($205, but in America these things are cheaper...
frown.gif
) or I had to spend €30 ($36) more for the Micro and that had to be send by mail. So for me it was clear...

Probably you can't use this at all for advice. So my advice: if you're buying new, i would go for the Carbon, but else just get the cheapest. All of them aren't a bad buy. Only the battery of the iPod sucks, so only buy the iPod if you can get it for like $30 less...

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #35 of 56
Go for the carbon. I was in your position and went for it and have never looked back. Superb (and I mean superb) battery life, I definatly get 15 hours +

I like the actual scroll wheel A LOT more. The touch pad thing is so annoying, but with the carbon, you can easily access it and change songs/volume in your pocket
biggrin.gif

Also, software. Ok, I don't use the drag and drop much, but it's a godsend when I do for backing music up, giving friends songs etc. Windows media player is great at syncing (not sure if the micro is compatible). Media source/nomad explorer etc are terrible, I've tried to used them with my Muvo TX and was appauled! I haven't actually used Rio music manager yet but it's meant to be quite good.

Now, the negatives. The static thing (very easy to fix, don't worry) but it's lacking the removable battery, but the carbon's battery isn't gonna die like the ipod's I'm sure. The accessories for the micro are good as well, and remotes are handy, but when using such a small player, it's not that important.

The navigation is great on both (apart from the touchpad) with the micro's being more advanced but the carbon still works great. A few firmware updates and it will be perfect.

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by fritzdevil11
Ha ha...oops. Sorry I meant to say Carbon
eek.gif
This is what happens when you post quickly as your director walks by during work hours.
biggrin.gif

Ah...okay. I hope you like your Carbon. I like mine. I wanted an mp3 player that simply played mp3s and was small. I have to disagree with the people who think the micro looks better...I love how the Carbon looks. The iPod Mini is cute, the Carbon is sleek, but I've always thought of the Micro as a little cluttered. The Carbon is a very easy to use player, and I don't have much else to say that I didn't already say in my mini-review. I just experience bouts of Carbon-love. And as you can tell from my avatar, I'm a former iPod owner.

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Situation: I am on a boat in the middle of the atlantic. All of a sudden, we strike an iceberg, and the boat starts going down. I grab the three things necessary in life, food, water, and my mp3 player, and join my carbon-owning friend in the only life-raft. As we watch the boat sink, we each listen to counting crows to calm down and mourn the loss of our friends and family.
Next thing we know, it's the next morning...but, oh no, our mp3 players have been on the whole time! No way to recharge? Why didn't they put an outlet in the liferaft?? What are we to do in the middle of the ocean with no music? No worries for me, though, I just pop in the next battery, and I'm having a great time singing along to george clinton and OAR all day.
Unfortunately, my carbon-owning friend has nothing to do but stare out across the endless sea, thinking about his family and how bored he is. Eventually, the repetitive sound of the crashing waves against the boat drives him crazy, and he cracks. He says he can't take it anymore, and throws himself overboard to the sharks. Meanwhile, I'm about halfway through Crazy game of Poker and I couldn't be happier.
A short time later, another boat comes along and takes me home, finally giving me an opportunity to recharge all my extra batteries and tell my friends about my fun adventure.

So who do want to be? The happy micro owner, or shark food?

funny... you wierdo.
wink.gif
tongue.gif
i like advertising that uses the least likely scenerio... "okay, you are floating in deep space and need a breath mint..."

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojjorz
The Micro is far too thick for me... but hae, that's personal.

Really? The micro is so small for me i nearly clutch it to death everytime because i'm not used to it's tiny size yet. Thicknes is not even an issue, it's damn small and really not that thick...unless you have tiny hands.

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #41 of 56
I LOVE the micro, don't get me wrong.

It's awsome, it looks good, is a nice size.

But the battery life...it's just horrendious. it SUCKS.

I've spent the past week following the 12 hour charge, I play it at vol 15, random, 192Kbit mp3s.

Get 6 hours.

My brother who thought he got more, timed his today, and only got 6 hours as well.

What?

I guess that's how they claim to get 12 hours...by including an extra battery.

Jan 14, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by krucial2004
Can you browse through the menu, or a list of songs, while listening to a song? will the song be interuppted if you browse through a list of songs?

yes you can

Jan 14, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Really? The micro is so small for me i nearly clutch it to death everytime because i'm not used to it's tiny size yet. Thicknes is not even an issue, it's damn small and really not that thick...unless you have tiny hands.

I used to have a flashbased player: Iaudio4 512MB This way I really got used to the small size, and when I'm riding my bike to school (they do that in Europe, nothing weird about it
wink.gif
) I don't want the player to be too thick, because it hurts your legs.

Jan 14, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #45 of 56
You can go through menu on Carbon while music is playing, too. You can also HEAR the changes you make (as they happen), such as EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back