Rio Carbon or Zen Micro, which to get?
Feb 23, 2005 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

LoveablePuppy

New Head-Fier
I am debating between the micro or carbon. the carbon is great because it cost less. plus i can get a 20$ rebate.

i dont really know what to get. i owned a micro, but i returned it because the headphone jack problems from what i read scared me.

Feb 23, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveablePuppy
I am debating between the micro or carbon. the carbon is great because it cost less. plus i can get a 20$ rebate.

i dont really know what to get. i owned a micro, but i returned it because the headphone jack problems from what i read scared me.

Depends on what you want.

The Carbon is MSC, self-databasing, smaller, and has longer battery life (2x).

The Micro has a radio, recording, touch-pad, replaceable battery, and more colors.

In other words, Carbon is smaller and more convenient, while the Micro is cooler and more featured.

At least, that's how I see. They're both pretty impressive players.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Depends on what you want.

The Carbon is MSC, self-databasing, smaller, and has longer battery life (2x).

The Micro has a radio, recording, touch-pad, replaceable battery, and more colors.

In other words, Carbon is smaller and more convenient, while the Micro is cooler and more featured.

At least, that's how I see. They're both pretty impressive players.

If only mp3 players could mate...

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymouse
If only mp3 players could mate...

haha, i cant tell you how many mutant mp3 players just popped into my head.

there are several threads comparing the micro and the carbon if you do a search. Istari summed it up pretty well though. The micro's interface is a little better too, imo.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 26
I like the Micro (although I think it looks a bit... happy.
evil_smiley.gif
), not tried the Carbon though. Wondering if they would make better use of a colour screen than the iRiver H10 with the Micro Photo when it comes out.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 26
Now that the new ipod has come out i think you can scratch the carbon off your list.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Now that the new ipod has come out i think you can scratch the carbon off your list.

Not necessarily. The Carbon is still the smallest and most convenient. And the Micro is still more featured, (and cooler, IMO).

Though I agree, the new iPod Minis are MUCH better than the old ones, and a very very strong contender for anybody looking for a micro-DAP.

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 26
in my opinion, i wouldnt want to put up with those small buttons. i mean i know the micro is small too but the surface of the touch sensitive compared to the rio's push, is a lot more easier. and it also has my prefrences: FM radio, Recorder, inter changable batt's, cool design.

i listen to the sundy funnies, and its actually good when certain people are on, and i like to record some of it.

Feb 24, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 26
Again, i with the zen micro and the new ipod mini could mate... seriously..

18 hrs battery life for the ipod mini, 6 gb
+
12 hrs (actually like 8) battery life for zen micro, 5 gb, voice recorder, fm tuner

The better feature is the dominant gene, thus, using a punnett square:

18 hrs, 6 gb, voice recorder, fm tuner= Micrini.

The new Crapple Micrini.

Feb 24, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymouse
The new Crapple Micrini.

HAHAHA thats going straight to my wanted list.
600smile.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 26
hey guys,
currently up in the air over a carbon, micro, or now that the mini has an 18 hr battery, that. I love the carbon's small size, but the mini and the micro display Chinese characters. This is a major plus for me. The only reason I would get the micro over the mini (since the mini now has superior battery life) is the FM tuner. I know with some mp3 players you can set the tuner to play US, european, or asian stations . . . if the Micro could play stations from Japan or HK, please let me know!

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 26
I bet the micro will still sound better then those mini's anyhow, and thats the main purpose of a mp3 player. Who gives a flip if it plays games or I can text message my cool friends at starbucks...sheesh its so pathetic, what about the music? Make my ears happy damnit!

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
I know with some mp3 players you can set the tuner to play US, european, or asian stations . . . if the Micro could play stations from Japan or HK, please let me know!

Good news for you. it does play japanese and international radio which i guess is everything else like britain, america, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back