Rio Carbon [long]
Sep 19, 2004 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
Sep 19, 2004 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 11
nice review austonia.
smily_headphones1.gif

maybe I'll get a DAP soon, I haven't purchased any portable gear outside of headphones in a while and it is time to upgrade that stuff.

Sep 19, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 11
From what I've gathered, it sounds like the beta units that were sent out might have been manufactured slightly differently, as some of the forum beta testers at riovolution said they never experienced this problem. Still sucks though
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Wow Austonia! Major kudos for a well written piece. Can't wait for Karma successor to appear...
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 11
I want to get it for its small size, good styling and most of all the Rio DJ function.

But think i should wait for a while more and see if they deal with the headphone jack issue.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Wow. That's a really impressive piece of work, Austonia. I wish I had that much information whenever I'm considering a purchase.

Sep 24, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Since I've used the Carbon for 3 days, I'll contribute some throughts of my own too.
I love my Jukebox 3, but after using it for 1 year & half, I really wanted something small that I can carry around with in my pocket without feeling too much the power of the gravity.
I bought Carbon at Bestbuy few days and I was very impressed with the look, feel(small yet solid), and the capacity of player. However, I have to say I wasn't happy at all with the sound quality(I use ety er-4s), the custom equalizer built-in is very nice, but no matter how I played around with it, it just sounded very "screechy". I don't know how powerful the built-in amp is but it really sounded like it was having a very hard time driving my headphones...
Also another missing feature turned me down is that it does not support Chinese display(only French, English & Japanese i think...), so if you're a Chinese and has many Chinese songs, I wouldn't recommend it.
The OS in the player is also buggy, I put 30 songs in my "favorite" playlist, the player just put the songs I chose on the top of the playlist and the rest of the songs on the players beneath them(but still in the "favorite" playlist!)
So I just went out yesterday & bought a 20GB 4G ipod and I'm sooooo much happier now. For $50 bucks more, I get amazing interface, many many foreign language support, great sound(just a tad bit worse than the Creative Jukebox 3), great look, soso battery(Carbon lasts longer), and much bigger capacity and still small enough to fit into almost any pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back