Rio Carbon --- Appreciation thread
Jun 7, 2007 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

robert1325

500+ Head-Fier
Rio carbon Shall Live forever

-- Tape -- Ipod mini replacement battery -- Sandisk 2gb flash
Is the best reliable small MUSIC player one can get
k1000smile.gif

Synergy with px100 is greatness. Anyone else here with some nostalgic feelings ? It's my bedside nighttime listening at lower volumes RIG.

Greetings
Robert

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 14
The Carbon and PX100's are one of my favorite combinations ... I really like them each separately, and they combine for a really "big" sound.

Robert -- are you saying that the text typed in red represents how you've "modded" your Carbon? It's a shame about their fragile wheel (and I would have liked a docking port), but I too like that player a lot. I had one lock-up when I was first loading songs on it, and no problems since.

[size=xx-small]I wish I had more than two ears ... but that might pose aesthetic problems.[/size]

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB (out on short-term loan)
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 14
biggrin.gif
Hi, Yes those are the mods I did !

+ Longer battery life
+ No-Lockups or anything during running
+ Much faster ( flash)

You need some tape to hold the case together.... I've got two, bought an old " dead " carbon on ebay and you're of!

Both my scroll wheels are gone but this is solved with FW 3.04, you can change the volume with buttons
biggrin.gif

I compared it to the Ipod shuffle 1st gen ( Same sigmatel chip)
The ipod shuffle has a more bouncy sound but gets congested and grainy at higher volumes. The rio has a smoother more relaxed sound with tight bass.

- How does the hd555 compare to the Px100? Is it driven well by the carbon?

Thanks

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Carbon and PX100's are one of my favorite combinations ... I really like them each separately, and they combine for a really "big" sound.

This is the same combo I bought for my wife. Being that I use it quite a bit as well, I have to say it's a great portable set up. Long live the Carbon!!

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 14
yeah , that combo sounds great with almost any genre... Normally I do not like the px100's for jazz and classical. but the rio carbon cleans it up pretty nicely!

Jun 9, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 14
I love the Rio Carbon. I have three of them (backups), all from Ebay.

The Carbon is a great music player with a slim profile and drag and drop music transfer.

However, the Carbon is the VERY BEST AUDIOBOOK player, bar none, not Apple, not Zen, or others. It supports Audible.com audiobooks and mp3 audiobooks. It sports nine bookmarks that save not only track and position but also album/playlist. Ipod and Zen bookmarks do not save the playlist. This is especially important for books of multiple tracks. In addition, the FF/RW scans forward and backward equally well and does not stop at the beginning of a track. The RW treats an album as "continuous" media. Ipods and Zens stop at the beginning of a track. This can be annoying when you need to review some audio at the end of the previous track. The Carbon has tactile controls and is easy to operate in a pocket. It supports navigation by tags or by folders. And for bedtime listening, the Carbon (v 3.04) has a sleep timer.

BTW, I had a scroll wheel problem but with the instructions on Riovolution, I disassembled the Carbon and glued the wheel back in place.

Surprisingly, the batteries in my Carbons are still running up to nineteen hours for music or even longer for low bitrate audiobooks.

When the Carbon batteries die and if replacement batteries are unavailable, I will revert to the Rio Forge and Iaudio 5 for audiobook listening.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 14
Yay Carbon! Also, Karma and Nitrus. I owned all of them at one point, both my carbon and nitrus... lets just say they went to DAP heaven. I went through 4 karmas in the space of 3 months and just had to say goodbye to the brand. It was a sad day.

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 14
I bought my Carbon almost 3 years ago, and it's still my DAP of choice. I've been tempted by many of the newer DAPs, but nothing has really come close to matching the Carbon's size, ease of use, and sound quality.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Well, it's no i-Zune ...

... but the photos online don't do it justice. It was very slim for a hard-drive DAP -- the frontal view made it look bulbous, but it fit the hand and pocket very well. And -- most important -- it had a nicely adjustable user EQ, good headphone out, and nice navigation. IMO, in 2004 it was better than the iPod Mini and I certainly like mine a lot more than I liked my 2nd generation iPod (the 10GB "iPod for Windows," which had wretched battery life).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back