Rilo Kiley-- Under The Black Light
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
I've become so jaded and cynical, I knee-jerk reject almost anything that's come out in the last 5 years almost out of habit as being junk by default. It's not my fault, and it's not just me; "rock" music has clearly declined during this time. Real bands with real songs roughly in the "rock" genre find themselves strangley on the outs. The "alternative", today's so-called "indie-rock" is mostly no-talent charlatans, wanna-bes and trust fund dudes with a burning need to whine about powerful women and not getting laid. They try so hard to be "cute" you just want to snip their balls off (if they have any) and be done with it. *yawn*.

But every now and then, by accident an actual "pop group" with actual (sexy) songs breaks through. Rilo Kiley is such a band. Every song on "Under The Black Light" is one of those songs that would've-been and should've-been a hit under proper circumstances. In today's market, as commercial as this stuff might be, there's just no place for it. We lose.

This has been called their "Fleetwood Mac moment", in that this album barely holds together the band despite crumbling interpersonal relationships.

I couldn't care less which member of Rilo Kiley is sleeping with another; here we have a classic pop album. The lyrics are cutting and biting and very clever; yes, it's obviously a break-up album. It's a sly, sexy female voice we hear throughout, but the real star of the show is the guitar player who begs, borrows and outright steals, he doesn't care. Maybe he thinks this is it, the band is breaking up and this record will stand as his audition to become a certified awesome studio guitar player hereafter. Maybe he's right, and this really is the last Rilo Kiley album.

That would be a real shame. They've really got something here, something out of time, that maybe doesn't fit into today's pop chart. But it would be a tragedy for a band this good, with such great songs to disappear...

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 9
Thanks for comments on Rilo Kiley, this group is new to me.
Amazon has a nice video preview, I think I will get this cd.

JD
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 9
I have all of their albums, and like them all for different reasons, but "Under The Blacklight" is getting the most playing time lately. Jenny Lewis' solo album is also wonderful, and I think she has another one on the way.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 9
I kind of hate this album, with the exceptions of Fifteen and Smoke Detector. One thing I love so much about RK is that they're effing ballsy. There are no balls on this album.

I think their previous albums are lyrically and and musically superior in nearly every way.

Jenny Lewis' solo album with the Watson Twins is definitely a must-have.

Also, Jenny Lewis is having my babies.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 9
This record is pretty good. But I prefer their third release The Execution of All Things. In fact, it's the only release of theirs that I really like. I'm willing to bet that markl would find it to be cute indie rock though. It's definitely not sexy like Under the Blacklight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe he thinks this is it, the band is breaking up and this record will stand as his audition to become a certified awesome studio guitar player hereafter. Maybe he's right, and this really is the last Rilo Kiley album.

I was actually surprised they made it to this album because I thought they were going to break up after the last one. The signs were all there since the principal songwriters both have separate projects. Jenny has her Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins thing as well as The Postal Service. Blake (the guitar player) has The Elected.

Quote:

I couldn't care less which member of Rilo Kiley is sleeping with another

The guitar player is actually with actress Winona Ryder now. (Pic) Not important or anything, I just find it hilarious that she has dated every single musician on the planet.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I just HATE this album. I'd definately call myself a big Rilo Kiley fan. I adore all their previous material, but when this came out I thought it had to be a bad joke. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back