Rihanna - Umbrella - sound quality???
Jul 11, 2007 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

balou

500+ Head-Fier
this is the first song I downloaded in quite a while - it's somewhat catchy, and why not download some pop music now and then.

but the sound quality..
blink.gif

the distortion is just mad... this really is quite unbelievable. not audiophile bad (I hear the general distortion in my cheap soundblaster, but most 'normal' people wouldn't), but really, really, blatantly bad.
I opened the file with audacity... the chorus is basically one solid block. and it sounds like somebody is banging on a metal plate.

this is rather disturbing... is this the norm with todays pop music, or is this just a particular bad recording?

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 12
It's probably compressed as all get out. This is an unfortunate trend in music today that makes the music louder at the price of destroying dynamics. It's good for clubs, not so good for those who enjoy listening to music.

In the end all trends go the way of the Beatles so worry not.
580smile.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 12
I have that song. Its not bad just because of compression, its clipping hardcore! the recording is garbage. Sort of like icky thump by the white stripes, The mix is actually okay timbre and balance wise between instruments but why oh why do they record it clipping???*&^$%* So sad

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mix is actually okay timbre and balance wise between instruments but why oh why do they record it clipping???*&^$%* So sad

For the same reason that walking filth like Britney Spears and 50 Cent get recorded at all. Because the criminals who run the recording industry think they can jam anything, **ANYTHING**, down the throats of the consuming public. "You'll listen to what I tell you to, and you'll LIKE it, is their mantra. And as their sales continue to crater, they wonder what went wrong.

At least P.T. Barnum knew how to turn a buck by underestimating the public.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 12
They should have people like steve hoffman working for the big companies today. What is up with these guys and their hot and clipping recordings? Who are their recording engineers? If I was in the US, I would show them how to do it or just take over hehehe:)

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

What is up with these guys and their hot and clipping recordings? Who are their recording engineers?

The idea, as far as I can see, is to make the recording jump out of the radio, no matter how bad it sounds. If you get rid of dynamic range, the whole track will be LOUD LOUD LOUD. Since the gum-cracking public doesn't care about SQ at all, why not?

Moi, elitist? Non.

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

They should have people like steve hoffman working for the big companies today. What is up with these guys and their hot and clipping recordings? Who are their recording engineers? If I was in the US, I would show them how to do it or just take over hehehe:)

I really don't think most engineers want to makes records like this (this is their art), but when your next pay check depends on how "loud" you can make an album then well...
plainface.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I have that song. Its not bad just because of compression, its clipping hardcore! the recording is garbage. Sort of like icky thump by the white stripes, The mix is actually okay timbre and balance wise between instruments but why oh why do they record it clipping???*&^$%* So sad

Quote:

Funny you should say this. Steve Hoffman actually did master the Icky Thump vinyl. Perhaps you'll enjoy that more?

Also, for what it's worth, I've only heard "Umbrella" over FM radio, and the distortion is impossible to tell. That's why it's done.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 12
compression or clipping? I think they compressed it until it was clipping

Quote:

Also, for what it's worth, I've only heard "Umbrella" over FM radio, and the distortion is impossible to tell.

hm.. with my tuner, sound quality is quite good (I think also thanks to my DIY folded dipole antenna). I never noticed so terrible clipping while listening to songs on the radio

btw, a funny thing I noticed: you can download vinyl rips of Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium. Seems like there are still people who care about sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by balou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hm.. with my tuner, sound quality is quite good (I think also thanks to my DIY folded dipole antenna). I never noticed so terrible clipping while listening to songs on the radio

Fair enough. I don't listen to FM outside of my vehicle, so I wouldn't know. Perhaps those who do more serious FM listening have found compression to be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back