rightmark audio analyzer e-mu 0404 usb anyone?
Jul 19, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Pretty sure that's available somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it measured well. Can't remember where I saw it.

Free or not, nobody here cares about measurements sadly. I'd love to see RMAA of the $100-200 externals put into one big thread so people know what's actually worth buying.

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 5
i grew tired of waiting for a forum reply so i hunted down some RMAA results of the emu 0404 usb box.

at first look the emu 0404 looked like a fantastic design to use with my laptop to go around town optimizing peoples radios.
but then i seen that the 0404 has a frequency response that doesnt make it down to 10hz.. that was my first reason to seek a miracle from the device.

then i found these RMAA results of the product and i must admit that i am suprised at how low the specs are.
this website has the emu 0404 and two other products from m-audio (one USB and one firewire)
http://www.amb.org/rmaa/

apparantly i would be better off using a PCI soundcard in a portable pc case.
although i have no time / money to build a cute computer with a pc case that has a handle on the top.

anyways.. i am with you, in that i would like to see some of these external DAC boxes run through the benchmark rather than using somebody ELSES hearing.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 5
The RMAA measurements on that site say that the E-mu 0404 USB has excellent technical performance. Even the guys who wrote RMAA got excellent performance across the board: E-mu 0404 USB review by iXBT Labs. Sometimes I wish I still had my 0404 USB. It was a very useful box. I also got similar results when I tested mine. As for the response at 10 Hz, my RMAA results are -0.5 dB and -0.9 dB, relative to the level at 1 kHz, for my 24-96 and 24-192 tests, respectively. You can easily do worse with an untested PCI card, if you don't do your research.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 5
the 60's and 70's did a real number with terms like 'solid state'
it was said that the products were obnoxious and imperfect.. as if they would live to see perfection take their place.

but the 80's had lots of digital breakthroughs.. it was seen on MTV with video's that included all kinds of techno.

then the 90's came and went.. then went 2000.. and now 2010

its been nearly 30 years since the 1980's techno era that was flooding the scenes on MTV and the music scene (electronics enthusiasts too)

THIRTY years ..

those specifications would have been sweet in the 1990's
wearing out in 2000
and obsolete in 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Back