Right out of the box... first impressions of K701s.
Aug 11, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #31 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
Hi My K701's mated like a rabbit with my modded EarMax Tube Amplifier...the tubes really help round out the bass response and marks in the lower register, including overtones from instrumentation, and vocals, and help to roll off a bit, the highs you speak to. Thanks for your impressions, glad to see you satisfied with cans you like,

That's funny. I really did not like mine with the EarMax Pro. Luckily I still had an old Corda HA-2, which to my ear fits them better. (And my DT880 (2003) is the opposite; I like it way better with the EMP than with the Corda...)

Aug 11, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #32 of 32
Hi, the timing seemed right, so I thought I'd chime in. I just received my 701s today and am eagerly listening as I type. I'm connected to a Singlepower PPX3 Slam.

My previous pair of headphones were MS-2i's. My initial impressions are the 701's have a much bigger soundstage than the MS-2i's. Instruments are more separated and easier to place. Bass doesn't seem that much different. If I had to guess, I'd say the MS-2i's had slightly more impact in the bass dept.

The highs do seem a little brighter on the AKG's. Hopefully burn in will help.

A sidenote on the construction of the AKG's. I love the design and the use of thick leather in the headband, but I'm disappointed in the amount of plastic used, particularly with the cheap silver plastic mesh over the earcups. I guess I'm too used to the heavy aluminum cups and steel screen of the Grado's. I prefer the build quality of the Grado's?! There's something you don't hear everyday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back