Right IEM's for me?
Aug 5, 2009 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jj94

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going all over the place right now, and I would like some help trying to find the right IEM's for me. I had a $50 pair of Sony's for a while previously but they broke while I was in Korea. Now I'm looking for something better. I'd like something around $150 or lower with a strong and accurate bass response but isn't heavy enough to be overwhelming or block out everything else, warm and clear mids, and clear and accurate highs with a pop. I previously wanted Monster Turbines, but just today after looking around, I realized there was so much more. I looked at Etymotics quickly and started a small thread, but I don't think it's sound signature is for me. Can anyone help?

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 11
IE7? How good are they? I don't know if I'm willing to shell out $50 more than what I originally planned on spending.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like something around $150 or lower with a strong and accurate bass response but isn't heavy enough to be overwhelming or block out everything else, warm and clear mids, and clear and accurate highs with a pop.

Denon C710 sounds like it would fit nicely:
- Around $100 shipped CONUS
- Great deep, tight, fast, accurate, yet powerful bass
- Best clarity I have heard in an IEM
- Highs have real pop!

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 11
C710's? How would they compare to other slightly more expensive IEM's? Oh, and I read up a bit on the wooden FX500's. Are they any good compared to the Turbines, IE7's, or C710's?
confused_face.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 11
I am interested to know how the FX500 compares with the C710 as from what I have read, they have a similar sound signature and strengths.

From my listening time with the Turbines (20 minutes), I think the C710 has better clarity, detail, and has more natural sounding treble with a lot more energy. The Turbine is a warmer IEM.

The C710 makes my IE8 sound veiled and slightly boomy in the mid-bass, but the IE8 is smoother and has better acoustic instrument reverberation.

jj94, check your PM

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Aug 6, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 11
I skimmed through a few of the mentioned threads. How do the UM1's from Westone compare to the C710's and the FX500's? Right now I'm just mainly stuck between the C710's and FX500's but I'm still open to suggestions.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jj94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
C710's? How would they compare to other slightly more expensive IEM's? Oh, and I read up a bit on the wooden FX500's. Are they any good compared to the Turbines, IE7's, or C710's?
confused_face.gif

I just compared both the C710 and the FX500 to the Turbines. Both are heads and shoulders above the Monsters across the board. Both reach significantly lower in bass, are more extended in treble, possess wider soundstage, and have cleaner mids as well. They both make the Monsters sound rather congested and veiled to my ears (in fact, I think I'll be selling them very soon for quite a song of a price, since I have no need for them with these other two dynamics in the house).

I find the sonic differences between the 710 and FX500 pretty small (although the FX500 requires a lot more drive, while the 710 doesn't), with the Victors having a somewhat wider soundstage. The Denons have better mids. I feel like you can't go wrong with either phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back