Right! Here's my shortlist. Please help me make the decision.
Feb 6, 2009 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

moomaloo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Following help here and probably too much research I've finally narrowed down my search for closed 'phones.

I intend listening via a Naim Headline 2 and my shortlist is (cue drum-roll)...

1. Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium - Customised via their 'Manufaktur' service - approx cost £280. Given that the Headline should comfortably drive just about anything, am I correct in assuming that the 600 ohm version would give me the best sound quality?

2. Denon DS-2000 - Available in the UK at approx. £195 (cheapest price I've found.

3. Denon DS-5000 - Out of my range if I buy in the UK but I could spring for a pair (new) off eBay in the US for approximately £310 delivered. BUT, I run the very real risk of being stung for customs duty / VAT which would add at least £70 onto the cost. It's a big risk but I might just get away with it..!

4. There is no 4. - Am I missing anything here?

That's it. Any and all opinion / advice gratefully received.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm surprised that you have two models of Denon on your short list and no Sennheiser or AKG.

I've been told that the AH-D200 and AH-D5000 share the same driver. The cost difference is in the wood cups and cable. Between them, I'd personally go with the D2000's and do the markl mod. It's reversible so if you don't like it you can undo it.

You didn't mention what you like to listen to. That's fairly significant information when choosing a headphone.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Instead of the D5000, you might want to get the D7000, since it's available for ~$600 in many places, just about $200 more than the D5000 and the extra money is more than worth it. I think that the D5000 represents poor value at its price range, there's very little reason to get it over the HD650. But if you are not willing to go to that price range the D2000 is a good choice. You could consider the HFI-780 too.

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 10
The Senns (600 and 650) are both open. I'm looking for closed 'phones.

No recommendations for the Beyers at all..?

As far as listening goes, it's mainly 70's classic rock, prog plus folk rock, some jazz, Bowie, Dylan, Joni etc...

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the Denons over the Beyers also. The Denons have everything the Beyers have but more controled and precise. Also Easy DIY Mods are said to really make the Denons shine. Well worth the slightly higher price.

I have a opposite opinion. I think the DT770 edition 2005 are more precise than the D2000, with a better controlled bass and more forward mids.
Both have treble problems though.
Maybe the 600 ohm version of the DT770 can fix the exaggereted treble energy and sibilance.

My favorite closed cans are the DT150 and the GMP 250.

Another good closed headphone that I can recommend is the Kenwood KH-K1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back