Right before a purchase..
Nov 16, 2008 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

whateverman

New Head-Fier
First of all I'd like to say hello to all of you who share this unique passion for music.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm about to make a purchase, and this purchase is highly important for me since I'm about to invest all of my hard worked money being a waiter in a $h1tty restaurant.

my DAP is going to be my computer sound card, which is a new Realtek on-board sound card, so I'm also looking for a new sound card.

I'm looking for headphones which are very precise with high definition, comfortable and fun. I don't care about looks since I'll only be using them in the room for the pure love of music.
for HPs I was thinking about the Sennheiser HD-595. Here in Israel they cost about 250$.
Are those HPs worth the money ?
Do you have any other suggestions for HPs I can afford?

Thanks in advance,
smily_headphones1.gif

-Whateverman.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Hello, a warm welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

For a soundcard recommendation we need to know if you'd like an internal soundcard (PCI) for your computer, or an external (USB)? (Though either way my recommendation will go to the Creative X-Fi Soundblaster family)

About the headphones, 250 USD is a good price for the HD 595's, they're very well rounded, elegant and comfortable headphones. They're also pretty low impedance, so they're fairly easy to drive with just a good soundcard as the source. A nice choice for your money.

Other headphones at your price range.. hmm, there aren't many, only Audio Technica ATH-AD700 come to mind, good headphones those.

Though I have no idea how much certain headphone models cost in your country, but the Beyerdynamic DT 880 and the Denon AH-D2000 are both out of reach I guess, especially when you have to get a soundcard in addition to the headphones. Moving down on the list I see Grado SR225. Also Sennheiser HD 555, very nice headphones, IMO best bang-for-the-buck I've heard, you would save some money there too, they aren't bad for entrylevel audiophilia
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, we need to know what you're looking for in headphones.
Open or closed?
Music preferences?
Do you use them only at home or in public too?

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 7
I like Rock (acoustic rock as well), trip-hop (Portishead is heroin for me), soft pop (Sia, Cardigans, Dido), classical, electronic.
couldn't really specify, I hope this helps
tongue.gif

I'm gonna use it at home, and I have a Sony STR-DE245 amp (probably some european $h1t). should I buy a headphone amp as well?

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Okay so you listen to a pretty wide variety of music genres. For which I think the HD 595 will be perfect, but, another option you could entertain would be thinking about the HD 25-II and maybe a Zero amp for those?
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just throwing around ideas that would sound good to me.

You should also take a peek at the buyer's guide, it's got some average list prices listed too, you can find it here.

I don't really know about your sony amp/cdplayer, not an expert on those, generally they have bad headphone outputs, but there are some good ones too I hear ...and what do you mean european *****?
biggrin.gif
I'm european! and sony is japanese..
tongue.gif

You should probably get a good pair of headphones and a good soundcard first, then worry about amps, mods, cables when your hunger grows
beerchug.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks mate
smily_headphones1.gif

I will now order my HD-595 I was craving for about six month now..
DT880 is about 450$ here, same as HD 25-II.

btw, when I ment european **** I ment these cheap-ass Amps with a SONY sticker on it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi, welcome to head-fi.

Headphones seem to be expensive over there. HD595 is a pretty good all-rounder. For more choices and to save money, why don't you buy used from the F/S section and ask the seller to ship it to Israel.

I would recommend you to consider Alessandro headphones like MS1, which are very good for rock/acoustic music, though not exactly an all-rounder. The good news is that you can get them for $100 shipped anywhere in the world from their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back