Right amp for Grado Sr80?
May 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

n\0

New Head-Fier
Hi! I just purchased a new set of Grado Sr80i`s from Custom Electronics in Omaha (highly recommended, great customer service!) So far I love my sr80`s! However I did notice they sound much fuller hooked up to my ipod through my friends onkyo reciever, than straight from the ipod. And so was wondering what a good starter amp would be? I was considering either a BSG Cmoy, or a Headroom total airhead. BTW, I use 256Kbps VBR AAC tracks, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi, I would give the Total Airhead a thumb up. Although I don't have experience with the others, I feel the TAH matches very well with the Grado. The crossfeed adds a slightly expansive soundstage also. It also tamed most of the siblant behavior that I and others have experienced with the 80 (and other Grado models). That's just MHO of course. But, it's a great bang for $100 retail.

May 14, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 8
As a Gilmore Lite / Grado owner, I would certainly look first at the AE-2 if I were in the market for a portable amp to use with my iPod and Grados. If you use a weaker portable amp with Grados (one that doesn't deliver enough current for the low impedance Grados), unfortunately the sound probably won't be much, if any, better than straight out of your iPod's headphone jack.

May 15, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a Gilmore Lite / Grado owner, I would certainly look first at the AE-2 if I were in the market for a portable amp to use with my iPod and Grados. If you use a weaker portable amp with Grados (one that doesn't deliver enough current for the low impedance Grados), unfortunately the sound probably won't be much, if any, better than straight out of your iPod's headphone jack.

This is an interesting comment. I have the SR60's and they have the same rated sensitivity and impedance:

# Sensitivity 98 dB/mW
# Impedance 32 Ohm

and I thought that these were pretty easy to drive? Are the SR80's significantly different even though the specs look the same?

May 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Because the cans I have wouldn't reveal any improvement from an AMP -- that is, the cans aren't that good nor revealing? Or because an AMP is not needed given how easy it is to drive the cans I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back