Richie Hawtin/Plastikman; the most talented techno DJ/Producer ever?
Nov 16, 2005 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
IMO, no one touches him.
If you dont own anything by him, go out and get it now-even if techno is not your thing.
For those of you who dont know him, Richie Hawtin aka "Plastikman" is a minimal techno DJ/Producer from Canada whose been Djing for nearly twenty years.
Ive seen him spin live; four turntables, drum machines, synthesizers and two laptops - its like watching an artist paint. The fluidity with which he navigates all that vinyl and machinery is mind-boggling.
Im writing this because I recently acquired "Artifakts" (plastikman) the final piece in my Hawtin collection, and its scary how tight this album is...and its 13 years old!!
Well, if you want to give him a try, which I strongly encourage you do-im going to list SOME of his best works by techno/genre:
(keep in mind he uses his name when he DJ's and his stage name for production)

Richie Hawtin:
Dj Mixes: (housy techno, house and straight techno)
1)MixMag Live! (Live at the Windsor)-IMO, his best-intelligent, progressive techno.
2)X-Mix Vol. 3 (here he plays with John Acqauviva-his good friend and a housier -tech DJ-another master). Two full sets on this album
3)Decks Efx and 909-minimal housy techno...try and figure out where he changes records on this one.
4)DE9: Transitions-was just released today-already hearing amazing things...

Plastikman:

Earlier Acid/Techno: (individual produced tracks/albums)

1)"Musik"
2)"Artifakts"
3)"Sheet One"

More Recent Works: (pure techno minimalism)

1)"Consumed"-my all time favorite
2)"Closer"

I find that people who like electronic (regardless of sub-genre: Aphex Twin, Board of Canada, Autechre) and modern classical (Glass, Reich, Adams,Nyman) tend to really appreciate Hawtin's sound and skill.

Share your thoughts!
Enjoy.

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhawk22
listening to transistions now and this is really amazing. sound similar to his live sets. Comes with a 5.1 dvd....................awesome.....album of the year for me
link

cant wait to get it...
better than his previous mix sets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back