rich+warm interconnect for $150?
May 2, 2005 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

tone

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace my silent audio apollo silver interconnect with a good rich sounding copper interconnect for under $150. i love a tubey rich sound with good bass and soundstage (i realize now that silver is a mistake for me). any recommendations?

would a cardas interconnect be a good choice for me?

Thanks!

May 2, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 29
The old Audioquest ruby sounded somewhat like your description and went for around $50.
Though the audioquest lineup has been revamped and all the old models replaced most likely there is one that replaced the Ruby with similiar sound at or near the same price.

May 2, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 29
You might want to check out Chris VenHaus Vh Audio pulsar IC's. You can go to audioasylum and check out the reviews, they are copper cables with supposedly good bass and soundstage; however, they are shielded, which increases capacitance and may roll off the highs or constrict dynamics, but he does have a 60 money back guarantee.

Another you might want to check out are the cables from chimera labs, those also have great reviews from audioasylum. They are pricy though and out of your range, but then again he also offers money back guarantee and is a pleasure to talk to on the phone. His are made with continous cast copper magnet wire, and his website details everything in the development process including materials and construction, same as with VH Audio.

May 2, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 29
I think the capacitance on those Pulsars is somewhere around 20. You can email Chris to find out. He'll get back to you quickly. I remember it being low because I asked him if they would work with my passive preamp.

Kimber Heros are supposedly a warm sounding copper interconnect.

May 2, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tone
i love a tubey rich sound with good bass and soundstage (i realize now that silver is a mistake for me). any recommendations?

While warm and rich sounding, my experience with Cardas ICs is that they are darker sounding and less detailed up top. I currently use Acoustic Zen Wow which can be found used on Audiogon for $150. I find these to have the sound of very good tube amps, rich, textured, extended, and detailed. But it's best for you to roll different ICs into your system (for best synergy), before you settle on a set.

May 2, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 29
Rich, warm, good bass & soundstage? Sounds like Aural Thrills Gold IC's, try checking Audiogon to see if you can find a pair of the standard or active versions in that price range.

May 2, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 29
I can vouch for the Luminous Audio Synchestra Signature fitting those sonic characteristics, though even finding a used one for that price will be very tough.

May 2, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 29
I was on the same boat, I had a BMC Pinnacle Silver. I returned it and bought the AudioQuest King Cobra. Sounds better to me. The brightness is gone, and it has a full natural sound. I don't work for this company or have any relationship with them, but I found a 1M pair for $154 with free shipping at 1-800-fat-wyre.

BTW, one thing I like about this cable is that the RCAs are welded to the wire, most other wires are either soldered or crimped to the RCAs.

May 2, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 29
Check out the magwire interconnects from Jim Hess on audiogon. I use the magwire originals and magwire ultra v1. The originals are only $36.99 for a 1.0 m pair. I like the originals better than my $130 mit#2 interconnects.

www.audiogon.com

Type in magwire in the search.
wink.gif

May 2, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 29
I've had a piar of 1m Outlaw Audio interconnects for about two years now and I am very pleased with them. I don't think they can be beat for the price. Also the cables I made out of canare L-5CFB are very good but a tad brighter than the Outlaws.

May 3, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 29
Thanks for the suggestions!

Currently i'm thinking:
chimera labs (not sure which model yet)
audioquest - (more a lateral move from the current outlaws that i also own)
Magwires Ultra V2
Van den Hul 352 used

I'm looking for something that's a step above my copper outlaw interconnects so used may be the way to go.

May 3, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

i love a tubey rich sound with good bass and soundstage (i realize now that silver is a mistake for me). any recommendations?

tone,

Yes, of course. The Cardas house sound is on the warm side with generous bass, and the Cardas 300B Microtwin is a very musical and cohesive cable that's never grating or annoying. Probably the warmest cable of the Cardas line. Its very name hints at its "tubey rich sound": 300B. Give it a try. Detail lovers would hate it, and it's not the most dynamic cable around, but it's so relaxed, rich and musical, it might be exactly what you are looking for.

May 4, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Currently i'm thinking:
chimera labs (not sure which model yet)
audioquest - (more a lateral move from the current outlaws that i also own)
Magwires Ultra V2
Van den Hul 352 used

I'm looking for something that's a step above my copper outlaw interconnects so used may be the way to go.

For chimera labs, they only offer one interconnect for application; dennis doesnt skimp out, he makes it right the first time around, so there is only one option for rca interconnect.

The magwires are real budget cables too, the measurements definitely look like they are good stuff, the capacitance is crazy low, it might be worth it to check those out and take a listen, i believe sacd lover uses them and you may want to pm him about them, he speaks very favorably about them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back