Rich, dumb, audiophile spendaholic fools?
Nov 15, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #61 of 66
I will never waste a year's worth of salary on audio gadgets.

Half of it will be okay.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #62 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
My feeling on this subject matter is like this, it is their money so they can spent it however they wish.

I agree completely, however there's nothing that says the rest of us can't laugh and point!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:29 PM Post #63 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I agree completely, however there's nothing that says the rest of us can't laugh and point!
evil_smiley.gif

Laugh and point all you wish, but if anyone is actually upset by their actions then, they got bigger problems they need to deal with. That's all I am saying.

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #64 of 66
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
So, my question is-- where are these rich dribbling nit-wits?
confused.gif
Do you believe in this stereotype? If so, why? What evidence is there that such people exist? Do you personally know any people like this? Have you heard their mega-buck systems and did they indeed suck?

That was a great read by the way.
wink.gif

I do know some people that fit that stereotype. Not many, but some. I work with at least one. He is over a certain department at work and he makes a good amount of money. In his office there is one of those small audio systems with two speakers, a radio, and a CD player built in. It looks nice and fancy with its wood grain finish. He told me that he paid nearly $1,000 for the system. After listening to it I couldn't understand why. He thinks it sounds great. It doesn't produce low frequencies very well; they are simply put, sparse. The mids are alright, but the highs sound a little muffled. When turned up however; these deficiencies increase with eventual distortion. This was a horrible system for the price. I can also clearly state that he has no taste when it comes to audio equipment. It seems he thought it was good because of the price since he kept bragging about it. He probably has a Bose system at home.

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #65 of 66
I dont think any monetary value should be attached to the stereotype. Suppose I know what I was getting myself into and able to afford a pair of R10, that doesn't make me a snob. There also could be someone out there with a lot of money to burn but ran into a good sales person who recommended a great setup. It's all about the knowledge.

Nov 17, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #66 of 66
Back in my high school days I would never have dreamed of having a $10K system, but I knew I liked good sounding music. I purchased my first system in 12th grade (teac and harmon kardon, stuff $300-400)......Somewhere along the way this old guy told me to buy top quality pieces because they held their resale value. So in college got nakamichi and some jbl's and then missions speakers.
Got a job and was able to upgrade thru the years, conrad johnson pv-10 etc, Now at 40yrs+ my system is in the 10-12k range and I don't remember ever putting more then $1500 on a single piece. Most importantly I enjoy the heck out of the way it sounds. I'm from the diminishing return school of thought>
Thru the years the high enders that I know only chased the dream of the ulitimate sound quality more so then the dollars spent.
If u have a favorite tune or cd that you know by heart/ear and you hear it on a really good system and while listeng you hear one sound or instrument that you never heard on your own system, that missing piece is what gets you to chase the next bestest stereo system. This is what propels the high end folks that I know.
The example of the doc that owns a 250K system with a few tunes, well that's his own deal and it's his dough and he can do what he likes with it.
Lastly, I bet that everyone of us has some hobby or interest that we spend way to much money on and if mentioned to "regular people" would cause them to gag......To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back