Rhythm Based Games: aka Gitaroo Man, DJ Max, Guitar Hero...
Aug 22, 2012 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16
I love these games...and they are great for us audiophiles. :)

I could spend hours, upon hours just playing through every song on DJ Max Portable, or going through the Gitaroo Man campaign...

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8-4K5Q0Zc8[/VIDEO]

The soundtracks are almost always ABSOLUTELY epic.

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 16
Guitaroo Man, I loved that game so much some of the later songs get so hard haha. This thread kind-of makes me wish I still had a working PSP to play it right now. I also played DJ Max Portable quite a bit.

This level gave me so many problems:

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 16
I wanted to rage quit on the final boss on the hardest mode.... it took an eternity to best him. I barely survived, last I remember.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 16
I got my 3DS XL a few days ago, and the first things that stuck out for me was Rhythm Thief and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. Both have demos out, and OMG... I want them... SO badly.

Rhythm Thief is like Lupin meets Gitaroo Man meets Bust a Groove.

That's going to be my first non-RPG game, for sure.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA-HbX7mPgs[/VIDEO]

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 16
Music games are my passion; huge fan of the DJMAX series, but most of my time these days is split between beatmania IIDX, pop'n music, and DDR. Built a pop'n ASC earlier this summer, and currently in discussion to acquire a IIDX ASC, can't wait to get it!
Closest ITG machine is about an hour and a half away, so I don't really play that. DJMAX Technika is about 6 hours away, but I make the occasional trip back home and always stop by to play it. 

Tons of good music games on iOS, including reflec beat and jubeat (both BEMANI), Cytus (available for Android), Tap Sonic (also available for Android), and there's a DJMAX game coming out later this fall for iOS as well. I'd been resisting for a while, but the announcement made me crack and buy an iPad, lol.

HM:pDf is on my radar to pick up sometime in the near future, but right now I'm excited for DJMAX Technika TUNE, which opens up for NA limited edition pre-orders tomorrow! Get hype~~~~!

also, if any of you play DJMAX Trilogy, shoot me a PM or something if you'd like to play network. A few of my friends and I get online once in a while and go a few rounds, would be glad to bring more people into the mix

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 16
Rhythm games are amazingly fun. It's like crack for audiophile gamers (which it kinda is). Though I usually play the Project Diva and DJ MAX series mainly. Kinda wish they would put bustagroove on PSN, who remembers those games?

@ Earthpeople, did you take a look at the Vita version of DJMAX that's being released soon? Looks really cool.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 16
I used to play a lot of stepmania and Flashflashrevolution back in the day, but I eventually moved out of that phase and when I look back I am amazed at some of the ridiculous keyboard songs that I could do previously.  I also played some beatmania on the ps2 and I have tried to play it on PC using Lunatic Rave but latency the from the ps2 beatmania controller to pc via a ps2/usb connector really screwed with the hit detection.  I might give it another try if I can find a better PS2/usb connector since playing on the beatmania controller was just so much more fun than keyboard.  Oh, I also play a little bit of OSU! on the computer. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 16
If you don't mind me asking how is the 3DS XL?  I have the original 3DS and it feels really awkward to play it for long sessions because of how close the buttons are and how small the thing is.  I have fairly big hands so it's very uncomfortable.  I guess I never really liked stylus based rhythm games.  I can stand OSU! on the PC only because of the more varied music collection, but hitting buttons on a controller(beatmania) just feels really good for some reason. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
If you don't mind me asking how is the 3DS XL?  I have the original 3DS and it feels really awkward to play it for long sessions because of how close the buttons are and how small the thing is.  I have fairly big hands so it's very uncomfortable.  I guess I never really liked stylus based rhythm games.  I can stand OSU! on the PC only because of the more varied music collection, but hitting buttons on a controller(beatmania) just feels really good for some reason. 

To be honest it feels kinda cheap, not as solid feeling as the original 3ds. Which I was a little disappointed about. And to be honest for rhythm games, the vita seems to have more rhythm games coming to it than the 3ds, and its region free. Still will never forgive nintendo for region locking their handheld.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 16

Sorry, I didn't see this until now.

I too have fairly big hands. (I'm 6'2" 210lbs)

I'm with you. I usually hate touch/stylus style games. I'm a classic controller kind of guy.

The 3DS XL feels great for me (very sturdy, and comfortable to hold compared to the little 3DS), but the buttons are pretty much the same size as the original 3DS. It's a weird decision, frankly, that only the screen size was made larger, but the dpad/analog/face buttons all stayed the same size (don't even get me started on the lack of a second analog). I wouldn't be too comfortable playing fighting games on the 3DS (either one), but for most games, it's fine. Doesn't touch the comfort of the PSP/Vita though.

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ Earthpeople, did you take a look at the Vita version of DJMAX that's being released soon? Looks really cool.

Yep, that's Technika Tune! A few people I know have received their imports and they say it's great. Gonna be receiving my LE later this month!

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Can't wait for the Vita DJ Max. Day 1 for me, though I will miss the standard PSP type gameplay.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 16
still playing vib ribbon after 12 years. 
That's sticking power. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back