RHCP thread : do u think of them as serious musicians or not ?
Jun 29, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138
Don't you find "Californication " hard to listen to with headphones. The disc is so compressed it sounds like he's singing through a blown speaker/mic. There's so much crackly and distortion.

Personally I've listened to them since "Uplift Mofo Pary Plan" and I prefer everything up to "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik". How come when bands like RHCP and Metallica "evolve" the always become radio commmercial friendly and that sound nothing like they originally did?

Californication definitely sounds like crap, but it never drew me away from enjoying the album.

javahut,

Strange but RHCP have been getting radio play since the late 80's. I personally did not like One Hot Minute, Navarro's guitar work drove the band to a harder sound and the rest of the band sounded like they were having difficulty keeping up...and please, don't compare the garbage Aerosmith and Metallica are currently releasing to RHCP's latest offerings. "By the way" is definitely their strongest album they've released since BSSM. Although the style is a wee bit different, the band chose a path that has given them far more flexibility in terms of musicianship. I can't imagine RHCP releasing the same old tired funk/rock mix of tunes, it was done to death and they moved on from it. Metallica and Aerosmith are just attempting to grab onto something that doesn't exist anymore in their camps...good lyrics and musicianship. They both need to retire as they have continously damaged their namesake while rhco has reinvented itself into a fresh new sound. I think RHCP are still on the top of their game, if you ask me and i cannot wait for their next release which i cannot say for Metallica or Aerosmith.

Jun 29, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Californication definitely sounds like crap, but it never drew me away from enjoying the album.

"By the way" is definitely their strongest album they've released since BSSM. Although the style is a wee bit different, the band chose a path that has given them far more flexibility in terms of musicianship. I can't imagine RHCP releasing the same old tired funk/rock mix of tunes, it was done to death and they moved on from it. I think RHCP are still on the top of their game, if you ask me and i cannot wait for their next release which i cannot say for Metallica or Aerosmith.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, then. I wouldn't consider "By The Way" in any way to be a strong album... the song writing on their last 3 albums all sound identical... and uninspired. And putting out generic pop music hasn't increased their musical skills by any means (with the exception being that John can play and sing live more in tune now). And while I definitely think they shouldn't continue down the done to death funk/rock path (which they still do sometimes, by the way (pun intended)), their musicianship was such that they could've brought many other influences into their music (including humor, which they used to have, but have totally lost now) and been just as revolutionary as their earlier stuff. Instead, I think they chose to let Rick Rubin take them down a musical path that would widen their mass appeal and put more money in their pocket. Plus, I think they're just tired now... they're out of inspiration. And , yes, they too need to retire... or at least the individual members need to move on to something different that wakes them back up artistically. I personally think they've had too many things happen too them that's sapped their creative energy, and they'll never be relevant again as the Chili Peppers.

Jun 30, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #18 of 18
javahut, we definitely disagree everything regarding rhcp.

I think the band is better than ever following the release of "by the way." To be frank, i really didn't care much for the band's early material. I hated one hot minute but found redemption in Californication and by the way. I wouldn't refer to their new found style as generic, but they've definitely taken a more stripped down approach and i appreciate it much more than the over-produced early material, simply because their earlier stuff sounded like they were trying too hard to carve themselves out into a niche. Now, they seem more up front about themselves as a band and a group of talented musicians.

Have you given "by the way" a fair chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back