RHA's new SA950i is gonna be in Apple Stores
Oct 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32
Hey Guys,

RHA's new SA950i cans are gonna be in Apple stores.

Gotta say, I'm really digging the way they're doing the whole retro British coachworks look.  Not quite the same direction as B&W, but a nice bit of reserved and understated class in a very plasticky world (these days at least
rolleyes.gif
).

The amazing part is that it's only going to be $60 retail for all that chrome and titanium-coated driver goodness.  Check it out...

Here's the official announcement about the SA950i from RHA:
RHA Launches Headphones in Apple Stores across North America.

British audio company RHA has officially launched in the North American market.

Founded in 2008, RHA spent three years in research and development before launching in Spring 2011, quickly becoming known for cutting edge sound and quality design matched with peerless customer service.

SA950i

Launching in Apple Retail Stores at the end of October, the on-ear SA950i (MSRP $59.95) features 40mm titanium-coated drivers and dynamic neodymium magnets in a compact supra aural design to produce studio-quality sound in a portable unit. The lightweight SA950i headphones also use contour-forming earcups attached to adjustable chrome sliders for a secure and comfortable fit as well as a 1.2m detachable, fabric braided cable with in-line remote.

For additional information, visit www.rha-audio.com.

About RHA

We create unique, high specification products, designed and engineered at our research and development center in Glasgow, UK.

Everything we make is engineered to deliver professional grade, cutting edge sound. Each feature, detail and component is the result of extensive research and our uncompromising commitment to innovation and quality. All of our products come with a three year international warranty.

They've also got new IEMs lauching today as well:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/630149/new-rha-ma450i-iems-in-apple-stores-today

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:
Those look great! I like to check them out for sure.

Yeah right?  Not quite as luxurious looking as B&W in the cups, but I like that headband.  If these end up sounding as good as (or better than) the P3 - while being only $60 - that's gonna be a shocker.

Are you gonna get one for unboxing and review vids?  Be interested in seeing that!  Wait, you have the P5 and P3 as well right?  Maybe a British shootout vid would be cool!

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 32
Ima get a review sample!  Yay! 
biggrin.gif
  Will post a link to the review as soon as it's up.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:
Ima get a review sample!  Yay! 
biggrin.gif
  Will post a link to the review as soon as it's up.

Do you think they will sound better than those Pioneer SEMJ591?

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
I am very interested in this.  It looks fantastic.

Yeah, and I find the cable especially curious.  Seems like a 4-pole (TRRS) connector on the headphone end...  I don't think the SA950i has a built-in mic, so it makes we wonder what else might be coming down the RHA pike for them to build a cable like that.

Quote:
They look a heck of a lot like the Skullcandy Aviators, to me.

They do at at that.  Though they seem to be missing one of the Aviators's best features (the tinted translucent ear cups).

Quote:
Do you think they will sound better than those Pioneer SEMJ591?

I'd bet money that they do! 
wink.gif
  And you know why!

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 32
I don't want to say too much as I have a full review coming for these.  But there's no point making anyone wait for some quick impressions, so here goes:

These are surprisingly good!  Upon the first listen, you're gonna be hit with a rather copious amount of bass in da face, but burn-in definitely helps here.  For me, the magic kicked-in somewhere between 12-16 hours of burn-in.  I can't say when in that time span that the transformation happened (as I generally don't listen to cans while they're burning-in in the closet).  Since then, I've probably put about a good two days of listening time in, so here's where we're at about 28 hours in.

These are still a little bassy to be considered truly balanced, but not overwhelmingly so.  The sub-bass response, when your music calls for it, is both weighty and clean with very little drone.  Bass through mid-bass is prominent but clear and tight - not nearly as one-note as I thought it might be.  There is a mid-bass hump though, which adds that bit of "fun" (ala Currawong) that some like.

Mids are smooth, and I mean smooth.  Like buttah smooth.  Like [EXPURGATED] smooth. Like a brotha in a buttercream Armani suit mackin' on the ladies smooth.  They're also just detailed enough for me, where I don't feel these cans to be significantly lacking when I listen to jazz or vocals.  And - guess what - they're not all recessed to the depths of the abyss like one would expect from consumer cans.  Maybe there is something to titanium-coated drivers after all?

The upper mids are somewhat spiked and bright.  At the first sign of this, I began anticipating sibilance in the highs.  But nope, no sibilance at all - not even in certain horribly-mastered tracks that I use to elicit sibilance.  The highs... well the highs roll-off a bit too early for my personal tastes.  But none of the Head-Fiers I've talked to about the SA950i seem to notice this, so it may just be me and my neverending quest for non-sibilant SFD (Sonic Fairy Dust, a.k.a. sparkle).

OVERALL, these are not your run-of-the-mill consumer supraaurals.  Though the mids are nicely present and not recessed at all, you'll still get the sense of a U-shaped signature due to some prominent mid-bass and upper-mids bracketing the mids.  Highs are decent (a bit rolled off to me but not for others), but there is no sibilance or pain-inducing treble peaks to speak of.

If you've been looking for a pair of closed supraaurals for portable usage that don't break the bank (these are only $60 apparently), these belong on your short-list for auditions - no doubt about it.

My full review to come soon...

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 32

Mids are smooth, and I mean smooth.  Like buttah smooth.  Like [EXPURGATED] smooth. Like a brotha in a buttercream Armani suit mackin' on the ladies smooth.  They're also just detailed enough for me, where I don't feel these cans to be significantly lacking when I listen to jazz or vocals.  And - guess what - they're not all recessed to the depths of the abyss like one would expect from consumer cans.  Maybe there is something to titanium-coated drivers after all?

The upper mids are somewhat spiked and bright.  At the first sign of this, I began anticipating sibilance in the highs.  But nope, no sibilance at all - not even in certain horribly-mastered tracks that I use to elicit sibilance.  The highs... well the highs roll-off a bit too early for my personal tastes.  But none of the Head-Fiers I've talked to about the SA950i seem to notice this, so it may just be me and my neverending quest for non-sibilant SFD (Sonic Fairy Dust, a.k.a. sparkle).

Hey, this sounds rather promising. Apple store locally has them for $60. They look a bit like the M-80.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:
Hey, this sounds rather promising. Apple store locally has them for $60. They look a bit like the M-80.

If I'm to be honest, these surpassed my expectations for them.  At that price, I thought that they would sound like lo-fi consumer cans (like an Eskuche 33 1/3 or something of that kind).  I am pleased to say that I was wrong in having that expectation.  If anyone has even a passing curiosity in these cans, I highly suggest that you give them a listen.  They're not the best thing since sliced bread, but they are definitely worth more than they're asking price IMO.

OT:  BTW, in case anyone is interested in a review of the Eskuche 33 1/3, here's mine:

REVIEW:  Eskuche 33 1/3  Retro-Inspired Headphones

No.

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #14 of 32
Hi Warrenpchi

I'm considering the SA950i and I notice you mentioned you have the MA350s -- I have the same IEMs and I love how they sound -- how do the SA950is compare? I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger without hearing them, but I did that recently with AKG K451s and was sorely disappointed by the results.

Looking forward to your full review too!

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

I'm considering the SA950i and I notice you mentioned you have the MA350s -- I have the same IEMs and I love how they sound -- how do the SA950is compare? I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger without hearing them, but I did that recently with AKG K451s and was sorely disappointed by the results.

Since you already have the MA350 (which I am REALLY diggin' right now), this comparison will be easy.  You know the level of the upper mids and the highs in the MA350?  Imagine reducing that by about 30%.  Also, boost the bass and lower mids by about 30%.  Then, imagine the mids being much smoother, as a result of sounding a somewhat veiled.  There you have it in a nutshell.  The SA950i is not a supraaural version of the MA350, but it's still fun in it's own way. 
smile.gif

The one pair of cans that I have, that sound the closest to the MA350, would be the Sennheiser HD 238.  However, those are open cans so isolation/leakage kind of sucks balls.  They are transportable, but not exactly portable.  Still, if that's the sound you want from a pair of cans, the HD 238 comes pretty close.

Quote:

Looking forward to your full review too!

LOL! 
biggrin.gif
  As am I!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back