Rhapsody music streaming?
Sep 24, 2002 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
This service looks interesting since I can't find a lot of classical music from the free services. One question I have is sound quality though. Has anyone done a comparison and have any idea what format it's in?

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 5
It's in Windows Media 7 format; the exact file format details can be found on the Rhapsody support web pages if you do a search.

Rhapsody is definitely worth trying -- it's an unbelievable deal if you want to discover new music. Their classical selection is already quite good and they add more albums by the day. If you're looking for major classical performers, you might be disappointed though, since a big chunk of their classical selection until recently was from Naxos. No problems with the variety of composers, just the performers. Sony Classical, etc. artists are now starting to appear though, so this is less and less of an issue. Their opera collection is still kind of weak too.

That being said, Rhapsody is an incredible bargain. Even if you're only going to use it to burn a couple of Naxos CDs per month, you're still getting your money's worth. The streaming service is awesome too, and I'll bet you'll find yourself using it all the time. (I listen to Rhapsody almost all day at work.)

Another major plus about Rhapsody is that you can sample artists you'd never consider otherwise. I'd never buy a rap or country music CD in a store, but through Rhapsody I've discovered a few artists in those genres I like. Sure, you could download the tracks as MP3s on KaZaA or something, but it's a pain in the neck. Rhapsody is just click and play.

Sep 25, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 5
I tried rhapsody, but I was pretty disappointed with the quality. The music tends to sound thin and sharp, on the lower-end of the MP3 quality scale... but I was listening to Broadway music and not to classical, so you may or may not find things different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back