RHA T20i replacement
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ualogic

New Head-Fier
Hi, I need some advice on RHA T20i replacement with a price that can be more, but preferably around T20i's (£150, or 200$). I used T20i until they failed and was generally pleased by the overall sound quality, now I replaced them with 1more Quaddrive, but mid and bass stage on 1more seems to be muddy so I am looking for something else.

My complaints with RHA were harsh treble, which seems to be better on 1more, and mediocre microphone, which is same, or worse on 1more. I was eying Sony XBA-N3ap, that maybe could solve both of these issues without losing on mid/bass stage, but can't find them outside of Japan anymore...

So long story short:

Music - Rock/Alternative
Device - Smartphone
Mic - Important-ish (Meaning that sound comes first, but having a good mic is a big plus)
Location - UK (but I can easily wait for a delivery)

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi, I need some advice on RHA T20i replacement with a price that can be more, but preferably around T20i's (£150, or 200$). I used T20i until they failed and was generally pleased by the overall sound quality, now I replaced them with 1more Quaddrive, but mid and bass stage on 1more seems to be muddy so I am looking for something else.

My complaints with RHA were harsh treble, which seems to be better on 1more, and mediocre microphone, which is same, or worse on 1more. I was eying Sony XBA-N3ap, that maybe could solve both of these issues without losing on mid/bass stage, but can't find them outside of Japan anymore...

So long story short:

Music - Rock/Alternative
Device - Smartphone
Mic - Important-ish (Meaning that sound comes first, but having a good mic is a big plus)
Location - UK (but I can easily wait for a delivery)

Thanks!

The Sennheiser IE 300 has a similarly comfortable form factor and can be had on sale for $250 USD. I pair mine with the excellent Comply T-400 foam tips.

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 4
The Sennheiser IE 300 has a similarly comfortable form factor and can be had on sale for $250 USD. I pair mine with the excellent Comply T-400 foam tips.
Thanks, I had a look. Whathifi recomends to go for Shure Aonic3 instead, as a pair with comparable sound quality (albeit a bit different sound profile?) and a mic, which made me do a little research and I found that Shure SE535 are being sold for £179 (240$) right now, which seems like bargain.

So a question to all who knows: Is it possible to drive SE535 with a smartphone (Galaxy s9 atm) (many say they are pretentious), and I have and impression that Shure is generally less warm and more analytical sounding, so would they be too analytical?

Nov 16, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, I had a look. Whathifi recomends to go for Shure Aonic3 instead, as a pair with comparable sound quality (albeit a bit different sound profile?) and a mic, which made me do a little research and I found that Shure SE535 are being sold for £179 (240$) right now, which seems like bargain.

So a question to all who knows: Is it possible to drive SE535 with a smartphone (Galaxy s9 atm) (many say they are pretentious), and I have and impression that Shure is generally less warm and more analytical sounding, so would they be too analytical?
Shure SE535 can be driven with a smartphone, but it didn't come with a mic when I got mine. You'd have to see if that has changed; otherwise you'd need an aftermarket cable, though the SE535 is standard MMCX so there are lots of choices.

Shure SE535 is also a balanced armature IEM while the RHA T20i was a dynamic driver. I've had both; they are very different.

Sennheiser IE300 does not have a mic and has a proprietary cable that would be expensive to replace, even if you can find one with a mic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back