RHA T20i, Final Audio Heaven IV, Mee Pinnacle P1, Sennheiser IE60-80 or Shure SE315
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I'm again, on the market for some new in-ear monitors. My cat has had his fun with my Shure SE215 so it's time for an upgrade!

I'm mostly torn between the RHA T20i and the Final Audio Design Heaven IV, but since I love over the ears like my Shure's I decided to include a few others like the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1, the Shure SE315 (which ends up being the most expensive for me with the addition of the Shure Mic+Remote Cable...). Just thought maybe the Westone AM Pro 10 or maybe the AM Pro 20 if it's really worth it...

I'm open to other Suggestions though, there are so many new manufacturers of quality IEMs now that I'm sure I've missed some very promising models...

As for what's keeping me from the RHA T20i? Mostly, that the cable isn't interchangeable...with the Canadian Summer and Winters, my Shure cables usually last at most 2 cycles of Summer and Winters...(heat+cold makes cables crack when they fold, and that usually results in 1 side going out...). Just worried that the cable will break and won't be able to replace it...

And what keeps me away from the Final Audio Design, is that they don't go over the ears, and microphonics usually become more of an issue that way.

Other than that, if you haven't caught that from my selection, I love clear mids and highs but my favorite frequencies are the Lows. I love tight bass, but not overly present, just punchy and tightly controlled...

Thanks for the help selecting my future daily companions and for the suggestions :)
Jack.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 5
As much as I like the T20 - they are made of metal and in the winter these things can get freaking cold and take a while to warm up in your ears....

Of the ones you mention, I have the ie80, T20 and have heard the Mee. I think with your preferences - the ie80 would only work with the bass port closed or one of the smallest settings. The T20 sounds great too and with the Mee - you have the same issue as with the T20 - metal .... if you don't mind warming up the headphones before putting them on - then I would go with the Pinnacle - for the removable cable. But I personally felt the ie80 to be more fun than the Pinnacle - I like it a bit warmer down there... int he low bass area.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Yeah and the IE80 isn't really in my price range...at all...
At ~250$ (CAD$) which most of the ones I list are hovering at, I'm already pushing it...

@Koolpep you seem to know your stuff, especially when it comes to cold weather related issues...I never had any metal IEMs so it didn't even cross my mind...
Do you think it might be a better idea/more cost effective and longer lasting to purchase a Headphone set for the winter? Or do you think the same issues would happen with the cable? (I do get CES "Cold Ear Syndrome" in the winter even with Plastic Shure's, but then again it can get down to -50°C/-58°F, temperature felt sometimes in Canada...)

And I do like a a bit of warmth to my listening experience but it can't be too tiring...which is why I tend to lean towards the lower spectrum of frequencies because very bright earphones/headphones/IEMs/etc are very fatiguing (to me)...

Or maybe I could just go Wireless in the winter? Are the aptX codec ones working well? What's some good recommendation for that? And is it worth it? Is the sound quality good or is it still a work in progress, and I'm better to stick to cables even though they usually break quite often for me?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 5
Yeah and the IE80 isn't really in my price range...at all...
At ~250$ (CAD$) which most of the ones I list are hovering at, I'm already pushing it...

@Koolpep you seem to know your stuff, especially when it comes to cold weather related issues...I never had any metal IEMs so it didn't even cross my mind...
Do you think it might be a better idea/more cost effective and longer lasting to purchase a Headphone set for the winter? Or do you think the same issues would happen with the cable? (I do get CES "Cold Ear Syndrome" in the winter even with Plastic Shure's, but then again it can get down to -50°C/-58°F, temperature felt sometimes in Canada...)

And I do like a a bit of warmth to my listening experience but it can't be too tiring...which is why I tend to lean towards the lower spectrum of frequencies because very bright earphones/headphones/IEMs/etc are very fatiguing (to me)...

Or maybe I could just go Wireless in the winter? Are the aptX codec ones working well? What's some good recommendation for that? And is it worth it? Is the sound quality good or is it still a work in progress, and I'm better to stick to cables even though they usually break quite often for me?

I have only been once to Canada during winter (Montreal and Quebec) and it's many years ago as a student but man - that was the coldest I have ever experienced brrrrrr (and I studied in southern Germany close to the Alps) wow - with he windchill factor - my god - I understood the term "biting cold".

For the last decade I am in a country with the reverse - up to +50°C in the summer (in the shade) - duh.... Anyhow - the ie80 is a nice in-ear and was on my "want" list for a long time. So when I got a good deal on them, I bought them. However, I really bought them for their tunable bass. I would say that you can get the same overall sound quality with "normal" bass for a lower price. I am currently very curious about the new Fiio F9 (triple driver hybrids) - they seem to be very promising and only $99 with removable cable.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back