RHA T20 vs Sennheiser IE80? Worth the upgrade from SE215?
Oct 26, 2016 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kentoshin

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone - first post here! Relatively new to the IEM game - I currently own the Shure SE215's - overall quite satisfied with them, but am looking for an upgrade to a more premium IEM (budget around $300). I like the SE215's for their amazing comfort & isolation, but the sound signature leaves something to be desired - I would ideally like something with a stronger bass response & sub bass extension, clearer and more present high end, and also a larger soundstage with better separation. I'm also having some connection issues when rotating the MMCX connectors, so I'm looking for an upgrade.

Currently, I'm torn between the RHA T20's or the Sennheiser IE80's. I got a chance to try out both of them today, and enjoy the sound signature of both. Unfortunately, I don't think my ears are perceptive enough yet, as I didn't notice a huge sonic difference between the two, even though other reviews/comparisons say that they are very different. Both are a welcome upgrade from my SE215 though, with stronger bass and clearer highs. I was especially impressed with the soundstage on the IE80's, and also found them to be slightly more comfortable, but that may have been due to the tips used on the demo units in the store. I also like the option of the removable cable on the IE80's, but the build quality and warranty on the RHA's are great so there hopefully shouldn't be a problem with durability. 

My current source is an HTC 10 smartphone (better dac/amp than most smartphones), with 320kbps Spotify files. I listen to a wide variety of genres, mostly centered around various electronic stuff (EDM, house, trance, chillstep), some rock (I especially like rock with female vocalists), and occasionally some pop, metal, & rap. 

I'm currently leaning towards the IE80's for their better soundstage, comfort, and isolation, but also like the T20's for their build quality and reputable customer service. Do you guys think either is a worthy upgrade from the SE215's? And between the IE80 and the T20, which ones do you prefer, or would you recommend something else for me? 

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 3
I really like the T20, but I haven't laid my hands on the IE80 recently so can't comment on that so much. One thing to consider is that the IE80 has a replaceable cable, and you can use the IE8i cable if you wanted a mic/buttons.

Another one I'd mention is the Fidue A83 which may suit you too.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 3
I don't really need the remote or mic as compatibility with android is limited, so not having a detachable cable isn't a deal breaker for the T20's since I've heard good things about their warranty and customer service. I'm mainly looking for opinions about the sound quality of each...

Haven't heard of Fidue before, but I might check out the A83s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back