RHA T20 or Sennheiser IE80?
Jun 18, 2016 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tacanacy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for IEMs around 300 USD, and from what I've found, RHA T20 or Sennheiser IE80 seem to be the best ones. But I wonder which one is best for the music I listen to, which is mostly rock, metal, industrial, electro, and some pop and epic music.
The bass, soundstage and high-resolution of Sennheiser IE80 sounded very enticing until I read a review that mentioned it could clog up rock music, so I don't know anymore. A replaceable cable is a huge plus.
My only experience with IEMs are Bose IE2, which I was very satisfied with, but could have had more bass and clarity though, and Jaybird X2 (only bought them for exercising), which I think are awful. They're flat, harsh, muddy, lifeless and have slight hiss.

Jun 18, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Both are great picks, but I prefer the T20 and I listen to the same music you do.  I had the pleasure of auditioning both of them in Singapore and the T20's were the clear winner.  As for the replaceable cable, I severed the cord on my T20's 1 week after I bought them and being in a submarine at the time I could not return them.  So I had to go back my second favorite pair, the SE535.  We pulled into South Korea and I emailed RHA.  Best customer service I have ever dealt with.  They did not have a contact in South Korea, but they contacted the Singapore Dealer to attempt to expedite a replacement pair.  Due to time constraint, I could not do it.  I decided to wait until I returned home to send in the damaged pair so I can get the replacement ones.  But they contacted me at my other port calls in an attempt to resolve the issue, WOW.  I was delighted with the T20's as they are the headphones I have been looking for, but the customer service made me a loyal customer.   Make sure to buy a Fiio X3 Gen 2  and some comply foam tips to make them reach their full capacity.  These will blow the IE2 out of the water.  Hope this helps.

Jeff

Jun 18, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 11
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 11

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 11
I have tried all of the ones you mentioned plus some and I liked the T20.  If I wanted more bass, I swap out the filters, but I normally have the reference ones installed.  The bass these things emit is impressive and would go head to head with my PSB's or ATH-50's.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 11
I listen to everything but mostly rock,electro and pop. The T20 handles them. They are by the far the most versatile headphones I have listened to.  For comparison, the SE535 ($500) which was my favorite can play rock and pop but lacks the low end for everything else eventhough the mids are a little better, but they cost twice as much.  I use them once in a while but the RHA are my go to pair.  I prefer these over my PSB M4U1 which are excellent over ears.  For comparison, I have the SE535, SE215 special, Sennheiser Momentum, Klipsch S4 for in ears.  Over ears I have the Sennheiser HD558, HD598, HD650, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Polk Audio Ultra 8000, Sennheiser Momentum II, Sony MDR-V900.  Depending on what music I play decides what headphones to pick, but with the T20's, I play all the music through them.  As the salesperson that sold me the T20 said, I found the headphones that I was looking for.  They were kind enough to let me try all the in ears they had which varied from $100 to $1400.  I was in that store for 6 hrs,  price was not concern and I picked the T20's which I thought would be at least $600.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 11
I just recently purchased the ie80 I was considering the RHA T20 as well as the DUNN 2000j. I had settled on the DUNN when I got an email from Amazon and the price of the ie80 315 Canadian so done deal. There is a lot of bass I have checked a couple of the settings on the ear monitors and they are set at the factory setting right now. What surprised me was yesterday the ie80 had a little over a 100 hours on them and ya I noticed a more in depth sound. I still use a fiio A1 bluetoothed to a fiio e17 &x1ii not that I need the extra bass but it there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back