RHA T20? Any alternatives?
Nov 10, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #31 of 39
Being as I've owned the MA-750's, T10's and T20's, I would say the MA-750's are good.. But the T20's just give you SO much more.. Better resolution, decay, timbre, the list goes on and on.. Check out my comparison here when I compare each of the aforementioned IEM's.. I wouldn't step down to the MA-750's if you are looking for that "Next-Level" sound.. Yes, they are better than your standard $100 pair of IEM's but you will not be able to sleep at night knowing that for an extra $100's the T20's are lurking in the shadows somewhere in the Apple stores nearby, because everything about the T20's compared to the MA-750's is just a little bit better..
In my opinion, I would recommend the Sony XBA-A2, but they have large housings. Therefore other suitable more manageable/wearability would be the Dunu DN1000's as I honestly feel the Hybrid configuration makes for a perfect balance of Dynamic driver and Balance armature.. As we all know Dynamic drivers provide excellent natural sub-bass response that Balanced Armatures only strive to sound like, and the Balanced armatures digging in deep to reproduce all the subtle and deeply enriched nuances in the music we want as so desire. In addition, it would all be worthless if they didn't include crossovers to further deepest the sound of each of the aforementioned sound qualities. To me it's a no-brainier.. But as with everything.. Sound is subjective and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #32 of 39
Just got the 20's and you're absolutely right, they are on a completely different level than the 750's. The 750's are a real bargain and offer great sound. Despite costing about double, I think the 20's are even better value. The soundstage, level of detail, timbre, treble resolution, and comfort are all vastly improved over what is already a great IEM. I can't find anything to dislike about the 20, other than wishing for a proper carrying case. The one they give you is nice in that it allows you to keep all your tips and filters with you in one piece, but is far from ideal for the 20's themselves as you basically have to just jam them in there..

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #34 of 39
Main difference I can say between the T20, and the 2000j's is the 2000j's are going to have a brighter signature. Whereas the T20's will be more neutral less on the verge of sibilance. Don't misinterpret that to meaning they are dark though. They did a very good job of making them detailed with that sense of analytical imagery.
One thing to take note, just as with most other Multi-driver Balanced armature IEMs, the 2000j's are very source dependent. They are sitting at 8 ohms, so be sure to check with your equipment the output impedance. Match the Dunu's to Fiio X3 or X5, and you'll be happy. If you're going to use an amp with lets' say an iPhone or Android device is fine, just make sure you use a low impedance output amp, like the Cayin C5, Oppo HA-2, or the Fiio E12A, you're ears will thank you. If not, you won't get the bass response you're looking for and you're going to get that Harsh bright sibilant sound everyone talks about.
Other than that, you should be happy with either choice. Each is given the Hi-Res stamp of approval for a reason.. Lol..

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #35 of 39
Oh, by the way JonathanGes it is a very difficult choice in this $200-$400 price range. There is some VERY stiff competition. For good reason, this is the mid-tier that separates the average consumers and the audio-enthusiasts. I refuse to say audiophile, because I believe that is for a very top tier elite group of individuals. I love music, play it, record it, and engineer it.. So trust me, I scrutinize every facet of music.. But I don't consider myself an Audiophile. I give a serious tip of my hat to those who are though!

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #37 of 39
I actually got the Echobox Finder X1, finally.
It just looks like a great deal right now, and the RHA T20i will always be there (maybe even at a better price, considering it's a brand new product).

Anyway, they may be similar sonic wise, but pretty different form wise, so no harm in having both in the end :)

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #38 of 39
I'm debating between the Aurisonics Rockets and Kickers after I heard about the treble spikes. I haven't been able to read much on the Kickers, since no one has reviewed the thing, but one person said that they may be overall better than the Rockets. 

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #39 of 39
Owned a few pairs of Shure 215s and they are fairly good value. Now have a pair of T20s after a poor experience with Shure customer service. Comparisons..
The Shure's have a nice sweet mid, punchy lows. High treble resolution not great. Soundstage very ball in head, not a lot of width. Isolation excellent with black foam tips. Comfortable to wear but they are on the fragile side, earpiece nozzles can snap off. Cables are durable
T20s far more treble resolution and detail. High mids slightly harsh straight out box but calm down after running in. Quite analytical sounding, they don't flatter poor recordings. Lows are deep without being overly hyped. Wider soundstage than shures. Swappable filters are a neat touch, not used them yet. Build quality far superior to anything Shure make. Isolation not as good as shures with double flange silicon tips, I found the RHA foams really uncomfortable.
Anyway RHA are designed in Glasgow, Scotland which makes them better than the other choices by default. And Shure customer service is not exactly great either. Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back