RHA T20? Any alternatives?
Jul 25, 2015 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

ibob4tacoz

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been in the market for a pair of in-ears to replace my aging V-Moda M-80s. So far, the RHA seems a pretty promising replacement, but I've looked at the Shure SE215s, the T10s, among other things. What do you guys think? The sound sig I would prefer is similar to the M80s (obviously). Bassy, smoother mids, and slightly rolled off highs, with a decently open soundstage (not my highest priority). Would the T20s work? Or the SE215s? Or something else I haven't mentioned?

Price range can be from $100 - ~$250.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 39

You could always try the Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2. They have fantastic sound, with very good, clean, tight bass and excellent midrange. Treble is slightly rolled off, but they sound very open (they have this special port they call the "microporous filter") and soundstage is quite good for its price.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 39

You could always try the Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2. They have fantastic sound, with very good, clean, tight bass and excellent midrange. Treble is slightly rolled off, but they sound very open (they have this special port they call the "microporous filter") and soundstage is quite good for its price.

Hm. The durability it seems to be somewhat lacking. The thin cable, ear loop, and the plastics you mentioned in your review throw me off.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 39
  Fidue A73 anyone?

Check out the extemely durable Aurisonics Rockets or the Atomic Floyds Super - oder Minidarts...

Another honorable mention would be the famous Vsonic Gr07...

Soundstage, bass and rolled-off treble wise the IE8(0) is also a very good option(detachable Cable)
Or you could look up the Shure Se315 (don´t know much about them), as Amazon has them at 199$...

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 39
I'm about to pull the trigger on the RHA T20. I have away my IE80 about a month ago, rocking over the ear models. Looking for a new IEM, and the RHA are at the top of my list.

I'd check those out, the brand new Aurisonics Bravo line, and the Dunu DN-2000

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 39
  I'm about to pull the trigger on the RHA T20. I have away my IE80 about a month ago, rocking over the ear models. Looking for a new IEM, and the RHA are at the top of my list.

I'd check those out, the brand new Aurisonics Bravo line, and the Dunu DN-2000

Another recommendations would be the Fidue A-83 or the Sony XBA-H3.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 39
If you want bassy with rolled off treble I would say Shure SE215 or the RHA T10 or the B&W C5. Neither DN2000, A83, any BA Shures or the GR07 have recessed treble or are bassy. I haven't tried the T20 yet but they will definitely be less bassy than the T10. 

Comparing the T10 and C5 I'd say I like the T10 bass more but the C5's treble is smoother. The T10's is a bit peaky.The T10 has much better comfort, build quality and design but the C5 has better isolation.

On that note I've heard very good things about the Yamaha EPH-100. Also, if you are ok with more treble energy I love my VSonic VSD1 or try the VSD3 which has a similar signature but better form factor.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #11 of 39
I ended up disliking the T20, sent them back.

Things I liked:
-Build quality was top notch. The shells seem durable, they fit extraordinarily well considering the weight, and there was minimal cable noise.
-The bass was fantastic. Not quite as emphasized as the T10, but still a elevated. I could easily differentiate between a drum kick and a bass guitar, and loved how deep they could dip down.

Disliked:
-The mids were a little too recessed.
-Treble was very brittle, and peaked in the low-highs, making the headphone fatiguing at even moderate volume.
-Lack of detachable cables... come on... Everyone is doing it at this price point.

The peaks were the defining problem with the T20, and that to me is very unfortunate. This was otherwise a fantastic headphone. RHA should be closely followed, as I anticipate wonderful things from them in the future. These were very close to being my daily driver.

Note to the OP:
I'd also suggest checking out the Brainwavs S5 if you want to save a bit of money. They are only $100, but can compete with the $200 range.  

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 39
  I ended up disliking the T20, sent them back.

Things I liked:
-Build quality was top notch. The shells seem durable, they fit extraordinarily well considering the weight, and there was minimal cable noise.
-The bass was fantastic. Not quite as emphasized as the T10, but still a elevated. I could easily differentiate between a drum kick and a bass guitar, and loved how deep they could dip down.

Disliked:
-The mids were a little too recessed.
-Treble was very brittle, and peaked in the low-highs, making the headphone fatiguing at even moderate volume.
-Lack of detachable cables... come on... Everyone is doing it at this price point.

The peaks were the defining problem with the T20, and that to me is very unfortunate. This was otherwise a fantastic headphone. RHA should be closely followed, as I anticipate wonderful things from them in the future. These were very close to being my daily driver.

Note to the OP:
I'd also suggest checking out the Brainwavs S5 if you want to save a bit of money. They are only $100, but can compete with the $200 range.  

So it seems they haven't changed the sound too much from the T10. That's unfortunate, given that RHA make their own drivers, i.e. have more control over their tuning. Now if they ever stick a mid and a high BA in the housing, that would be something to check out even if it doubles the price.

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #13 of 39
I remember reading some of the reviews from when RHA sent out a few test pairs. Supposedly, they were very smooth om the top end and mids were great. Was all that just a little hype messing with their review? Or maybe you had to burn em in?
EDIT: I do agree on you with the cables though, but the build quality is good, so it isn't TOO much of a worry.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 39
I did a review of the T20 today for our site (not up yet) but did try the T10 & T20 both at the same time out of a Chord Hugo which has 2 3.5mm sockets. Both had neutral/reference filters.

The T20 has a fair bit more midrange presence than the T10, with less, but better controlled bass. I found no problem with the treble, but we all have our own sensitivities as far as that is concerned. Personally I really like the T20.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 39
You can see the curve for yourself, the peaks I'm talking about are visible - and highly noticeable at moderate volumes. Anything but smooth. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/RHAT20ReferenceFilter.pdf

You're absolutely right though, regarding sensitivity to the spikes. I just can't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back