RHA T10i Tour & Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #137 of 474
While I can't talk about sonic impressions regarding the IE80 I did own the IE8 so can discuss isolation, ergonomics, build quality, and comfort.

I think the T10i is more comfortable, better built, has better ergonomic design, and has similar levels of isolation (this one if from memory only though).

The IE80 has lighter cables though and they are replaceable.I personally really like the over ear wire design of the T10i though as compared to the horrible ear hooks provided by Sennheiser.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #143 of 474
I experienced this as well but then I changed ear tips and it went away.  It was a sort of reverberation heard when listening to James Taylor.  Something about the frequency of his voice and the large stock tips and reference filter.  I switched to medium tips and it went away.  I suspect the poor seal led to this distortion heard.  It was quite striking with say Taylor but I didn't hear it with other vocals.

Quote:
Anybody else felt that they distort easily for vocals?

Pete Wentz from Fallout Boy's vocals were horribly ruined by the distortion...

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #144 of 474
What source are you running?

Fiio X5

I was using my own medium sized SpinFit tips. Seal was decent.
But that distortion tho..... I thought the metal housing would absorb some of the reverberations.

Also, I realise how hard it is to drive these. 80 and on Hugh gain with my X5 to achieve a listenable volume is.... Coupled with the very un-ergonomic housing ( I can fit it in my ear but it's too small hence it always feels like it's falling out and not seated snugly ) and the fact that it costs 328 in my country..... If rather not buy it anymore... its sad cos it was something I wanted to buy and it has underwhelmed me badly...

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #145 of 474
Fiio X5
I was using my own medium sized SpinFit tips. Seal was decent.
But that distortion tho..... I thought the metal housing would absorb some of the reverberations.

This is actually really interesting, we've not had any reports of severe distortion caused by reverb wihin the housing - they're engineered to avoid this issue. I would recommend going through some of the included tips and seeing if the issue persists, if possible, with a good seal with any of the included buds.

Thanks,

RHA

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #146 of 474
Agree - I found no distortion - but @lookingforIEMs does seem to be listening to the X5 at significantly louder levels than I would generally listen to an IEM.  For the record (from my notes when using the T10i), I was generally at or around 30-40/120 on low gain.

I wonder if he had the EQ engaged on the X5?

Also for it to fall out like that, I'd question whether he's actually achieving a good seal .....

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #147 of 474
This is actually really interesting, we've not had any reports of severe distortion caused by reverb wihin the housing - they're engineered to avoid this issue. I would recommend going through some of the included tips and seeing if the issue persists, if possible, with a good seal with any of the included buds.

Thanks,

RHA

Okay thanks will try the next time I demo.

Agree - I found no distortion - but @lookingforIEMs
 does seem to be listening to the X5 at significantly louder levels than I would generally listen to an IEM.  For the record (from my notes when using the T10i), I was generally at or around 30-40/120 on low gain.

I wonder if he had the EQ engaged on the X5?

Also for it to fall out like that, I'd question whether he's actually achieving a good seal .....

No EQ.

I myself am wondering why it needs to be so loud. Even for my ciem, it's low gain and max 70 volume. For my RE0,it's max 80 volume on high gain. This matches it. Why? Isn't it mmeant to be easy to drive?

I got a good seal.
It just felt uncomfortable cos the housing was too small to fit snugly in my ear hence causing it to stick out and feel like it's falling out.
I hope this clears your doubts.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #148 of 474
No EQ.

I myself am wondering why it needs to be so loud. Even for my ciem, it's low gain and max 70 volume. For my RE0,it's max 80 volume on high gain. This matches it. Why? Isn't it meant to be easy to drive?

I got a good seal.
It just felt uncomfortable cos the housing was too small to fit snugly in my ear hence causing it to stick out and feel like it's falling out.
I hope this clears your doubts.

I just found it interesting.  It highlights a few different possibilities ......
  • A major volume/output power difference between our X5's - I'd have thought this unlikely
  • A major volume/output difference between the T10i we each had - again I'd have thought this unlikely
  • Again seal difference - if yours feels like it's falling out, I'd question if the seal is 100% secure.  This might be one reason you're using such a high volume
  • If the above 3 aren't an issue - then it is different personal listening levels
  • As far as the volume goes - at high gain, 80 volume on the X5, it would deafen me. At this volume, I'd think distortion would be the least of your worries.

Is there any way you can play a music from your X5 at your normal volumes, and measure the output with an SPL meter?  Just use an android app, or iPhone app - and the mic on a smartphone.  Would be interesting to see what the peak and average outputs are ......

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #149 of 474
I just found it interesting.  It highlights a few different possibilities ......
  1. A major volume/output power difference between our X5's - I'd have thought this unlikely
  2. A major volume/output difference between the T10i we each had - again I'd have thought this unlikely
  3. Again seal difference - if yours feels like it's falling out, I'd question if the seal is 100% secure.  This might be one reason you're using such a high volume
  4. If the above 3 aren't an issue - then it is different personal listening levels
  5. As far as the volume goes - at high gain, 80 volume on the X5, it would deafen me. At this volume, I'd think distortion would be the least of your worries.

Is there any way you can play a music from your X5 at your normal volumes, and measure the output with an SPL meter?  Just use an android app, or iPhone app - and the mic on a smartphone.  Would be interesting to see what the peak and average outputs are ......

First 3 are def not a problem...

Okay I will do so soon. But I am quite busy due to part time work so I may not get back to you quickly.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #150 of 474
No probs - just trying to help, and finding it difficult to understand the huge difference between our listening volumes ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back