RHA MA750i purchased after good reviews... not impressed.
Sep 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

penfold1992

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

So... I have been trawling the forums for a bit, I needed some IEM's for work and I decided to get the RHA MA750i after various good reviews...
this is when the problems started unfortunately...

So first day I had them I noticed that the fit of the default silicone earbuds are not particularly comfortable and have a habit of either falling out due to a bad seal (I dont really know why these ones dont have a good seal... maybe because they have a slightly rough texture rather than a smooth texture or being a slightly stiffer silicone tip then I am used to?)

Then I'm listening to them at work after 1 week and I reach down to lower the volume on the inline controls when I noticed a strange texture. I looked down to see the silicone/plastic coating that was on the buttons had started to peel off. I mean, I know I get hot at work and maybe it might have been below the restroom hand dryer for a few seconds or something but this is ridiculous.

Week 2 rolls around and I am sat down at work again when I get the headphones and ipod out of my bag to be disappointed once again... the connector pin is bent! Not by a huge amount but enough for my OCD to notice it.

ok finally, the sound quality. Now I am no audiophile that collects headsets but I expected better for the money. The sound only really becomes good at a loud volume with the absence of bass until you reach about 80% volume. I am aware that some headphones get better after a bit of burn-in but I have been listening to music at work every day for 3 weeks I would think its burned in by now.

so... has anyone else had any experiences like this with these headphones? Bad build quality and not exactly impressive sound for the price. I know they are not in the high end or anything but I was expecting better for the price.

I am going to return them but should I just brush this one off as a bad batch or should I go for another IEM?

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 9
The build quality issues are definitely weird but the lack of bass probably has to do with the bad seal. They have a 3 year warranty if you bought them from an authorized retailer.

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 9
  The build quality issues are definitely weird but the lack of bass probably has to do with the bad seal. They have a 3 year warranty if you bought them from an authorized retailer.

The rha ma750s aren't supposed to be basslight
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/reid-and-heath-acoustics-ma750-ear-monitor-measurements

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 9

The rha ma750s aren't supposed to be basslight
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/reid-and-heath-acoustics-ma750-ear-monitor-measurements

hmm... yes but it might just be me that feels this way... I am no audio expert to be able to judge this. Maybe the bass is fine and as I mentioned, the bass is definitely pumping at a high volume, I can feel my inner ear pulse with the bass at high volume but at low volume, kick drums sound like a rattling baked bean can.

the bad seal is sometimes an issue but I am not sure what it is about the silicone tips that cause the problem...
I have another set of cheap samsung headphones that were released as a promotional event alongside the 2012 london olympics and the silicone tips that I have with them are softer and more malleable but this allows me to get a better seal in my ear.
Also, I have noticed there is a thicker inner silicone tube inside of the tip. I am assuming this is for isolation but maybe it increases the structural integrity of the tip which is causing it to irritate my inner ear, forcing the tip out. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 9
hmm... yes but it might just be me that feels this way... I am no audio expert to be able to judge this. Maybe the bass is fine and as I mentioned, the bass is definitely pumping at a high volume, I can feel my inner ear pulse with the bass at high volume but at low volume, kick drums sound like a rattling baked bean can.

the bad seal is sometimes an issue but I am not sure what it is about the silicone tips that cause the problem...
I have another set of cheap samsung headphones that were released as a promotional event alongside the 2012 london olympics and the silicone tips that I have with them are softer and more malleable but this allows me to get a better seal in my ear.
Also, I have noticed there is a thicker inner silicone tube inside of the tip. I am assuming this is for isolation but maybe it increases the structural integrity of the tip which is causing it to irritate my inner ear, forcing the tip out. 

Do you still find it bass light with the other tips?

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Do you still find it bass light with the other tips?

well that was my initial thought, and the double flanged tips looked interesting but they also didnt feel too comfortable I prefered the regular tips. I then tried the foam tips which I dont normally like because I take my headphones out a lot and foam tips are a bit more of a hassle imo but I digress, they were better but not so noticeable that I would say the tips were what caused the lack of bass.

Sep 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 9
well that was my initial thought, and the double flanged tips looked interesting but they also didnt feel too comfortable I prefered the regular tips. I then tried the foam tips which I dont normally like because I take my headphones out a lot and foam tips are a bit more of a hassle imo but I digress, they were better but not so noticeable that I would say the tips were what caused the lack of bass.

If an equilizer and trying different sources don't help i would try returning it and get another iem. What other iems/headphones have you liked before the rhas?

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Hey Penfold1992,

As mentioned above, the issues with sound quality are likely due to a lack of a proper fit or previously held perceptions on the appropriate levels of bass. A lot of low-end headphones will have a stronger, artificial bass colouration, while the MA750i is designed to be closer to a flat frequency response.

In regards to the build issues, these are very much uncommon and we'd like you to send a message to our customer care team so they can check if the defects are from a manufacturing problem. Hope that's okay.

Thanks,

RHA Team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back