RHA MA-600i Review
Dec 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #17 of 36
DF, your unboxing and review videos were interesting as well.

Thanks, I like to post my stuff on here as a way of sharing with the community.

Jul 17, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 36
Just picked up a pair of these. Great price, about half normal for "used" supposedly with marks on the accessories. I couldn't find the scratches. These looked new! Build quality is very good. As for the sound... mids are defintely recessed. I wasn't expecting RE0's (one of my previous iem's) but vocals are for sure NOT forward. As for the bass, I',m not hearing the big quantities. Maybe it's the fit. I'm still experimenting with the tips but I just don't find it overpowering.  Hopefully these will improve as they burn in. But my first impression reminds me why I don't like metal tweeters in my speakers. Don't want to sound overly critical, for what I paid they work well for excercisng or mowing the lawn. I'll check back after some time with them.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #24 of 36
  Just picked up a pair of these. Great price, about half normal for "used" supposedly with marks on the accessories. I couldn't find the scratches. These looked new! Build quality is very good. As for the sound... mids are defintely recessed. I wasn't expecting RE0's (one of my previous iem's) but vocals are for sure NOT forward. As for the bass, I',m not hearing the big quantities. Maybe it's the fit. I'm still experimenting with the tips but I just don't find it overpowering.  Hopefully these will improve as they burn in. But my first impression reminds me why I don't like metal tweeters in my speakers. Don't want to sound overly critical, for what I paid they work well for excercisng or mowing the lawn. I'll check back after some time with them.

Just a quick update. I tried wearing these up rather than down. Whoa..... big difference. Still not getting the bass monster but vocals are much better and the overall presentation is head and sholders above what I got wearing them down. These are pretty heavy (but not really uncomfortable) and because of the size and shape of the housings they don't protrude into your ear canals very deeply. I think that wearing them down caused a bad seal and contributed to the poor sound. Still need more time to let them break in, but I'm liking these much more wearing them up, even though I'm not a fan of that style.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 36
I'm not new to iem's and know the value of good fit,  but I don't usually like to wear them "up." But in this case it's a necessity for good sound. They didn't appear or feel to fit badly down when I first put them in, but the proof is in hearing, So for these, up it is.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #28 of 36
Great reviews...

I picked up the 600i on discount as a replacement for my 'beater' headphones - the ones I cart around to the gym, walking around the city and generally wad up in my pocket with my ipod. 

I wasn't looking for a well balanced neutral sound - in all fairness, my ear isn't perceptive enough for really subtle detail. Besides, I have my sennheiser momentums and sony xba-h1 for pretending I'm a purist (I kid - I'm always surprised at what you notice in the music depending on the focus of the equipment).

In short - I loved them - the microphonics were horrible, but the bass was astounding. That in combination with the sharpness of the treble made it work from most things I threw at it, from john coltrane to the crystal method to the hives. Perfect - they were like the Jim Carey of headphones - maybe a little much, uncouth, in your face, relentless, and unlike Jim Carey, comfortable for long periods of time.

Until, 3 months later, the wire frayed by the junction of the volume knob and cord, rendering that ear useless. Ok...I bought them refurbished off of Amazon, but as they haven't been out  for 3 years, one would think it would be covered in the warranty. 

Nope. Really? I'd be happy to pay for a repair. Sorry - we can't verify that they're authentic. Disappointing customer service, RHA!

I actually took good care of them, once I realized how great the sound was. This seems a serious design flaw. 

Any suggestions of where to go to get a wire soldered? I hate to bin them?

Any suggestions for a similar sounding iem? Were it not for the lack of customer service and short lifespan, I'd gladly buy them again.

Sep 24, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #29 of 36
oh thas unfortunate they have come to an end.

now i know there are places that do these sorts of things and like to attach fancy custom cables too to things.  so not sure if that would be a wildly cost effective option.

as for CS and lifespan, both of which i can say RHA are usually spoken of most highly.  however, if they are only 3 months old wouldnt the warranty onuse be on the retailer, i.e. amazon?

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #30 of 36
I've had them for about a month now, and I love them. After the required burn in time.. They really opened up.. I love the timbre these provide.. I'm my opinion, due to the recessed mid-bass and enhanced sub-bass, you really get to hear the interesting nuances found in music genres similar to Post-Hardcore, Progressive Death Metal/Djent if you will.. Bass drops are fantastic, however, the MA-750's do this a little more effortlessly.. The issue I had with the MA-750's is due to their natural sound signature. With the SS being a more relatively flat eq you get that mid-bass that is recessed on the MA-600's so bass drops sound Tubby/Bloated.. Once again, sound is subjective and a matter of personal preference, but I did want to say that in m time with them.. I have found my official daily drivers. For example, due to the thinner cables, it makes them lighter than the MA-750's therefore more portable.. So it really depends on where are you coming from if you're going to go with these.. In my honest opinion, if you want to spend less than $100 USD, for an amazing daily beaters that still provide fantastic sound and warranty.. Do yourself a favor.. Give these a shot.. Usually you don't regret it.. I haven't.. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back