RFI problem - what should I do?
Aug 8, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read many posts mentioning that ferrites are bad for audio applications but I am having great difficulty in comprehending this concept. How can a piece of metal that surrounds but does not touch a signal or current effect that signal or current? Seems a bit like audio voodoo in reverse.
blink.gif

The same way they actually work. Inductance.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 18
I remember 3 years ago I got radio through my headphone amp (Corda HA-1 Mk1), it was picking up radio through the female RCA connectors.
I changed the stock interconnect into a Van den Hul and the radio was reduced but still there. Then I changed it into Outlaw PCA and the radio was gone.

I wish I had known about ERS Paper back then, it would have been a good experiment...

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...vacuum tube amps are usually handcrafted. So very likely there might be cold colder joint or broken shield at the preamp tube stage...

I understand that this references internal connections, however, this brings up a question due to my ever-more apparent lack of knowledge:

Are tubes themselves subject to RFI? I've read about a need for physical damping of the tubes. Does this physical characteristic have any loose [pun?] association with RF interference or modulation or some other EM phenomena?

Before anyone asks - No I haven't taken any of the obvious actions yet. It's construction season here (as opposed to the only other season, winter) so I've been working way too much. I can sneak here while I'm "working" but I've been limited to my portable outfit.

I do appreciate the discussion and I find it very interesting. THANKS!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back