RFI noise interference with RCA cable
Mar 10, 2008 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dikyllis

New Head-Fier
RFI noise interference with RCA cable, should be the root cause, since I took them out of the amp and no more noise/radio signal

I know there are things ferrite rings, but what else?

another shield on top?

Mar 10, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dikyllis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RFI noise interference with RCA cable, should be the root cause, since I took them out of the amp and no more noise/radio signal

I know there are things ferrite rings, but what else?

another shield on top?

I think you have ground loop. Does the noise sounds like a hum?

Mar 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 12
The source of the interference can be either the cable or the source. you have already eliminated the amp (I'm assuming the amp is properly grounded).

If it's the cable, the cable might not be properly shielded. Switch to a know non issue cable. You must have more than one cable and one system right.

If switching cable didn't work, you can add magnet. But usually adding magnetic reduces emission more than shieding emission. You can also add a inductance or a capacitance to ground.

Mar 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sort of RCA cable construction--coax or shielded twisted pair?

using Nanotec Golden Strada #201: Dual Core Shield Cable

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Unfortunately, I don't speak Japanese and can't find any English descriptions of the actual construction of that cable. Seems to me that the shield is improperly terminated.

That is completely inexcusable for a cable that appears to retail for $895 for a 1 meter pair, if I'm interpreting the info from an Audiogon page correctly.

Mar 11, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 12
To me it is RFI, and this is due poor shielding in the cable, if the source and amp was working before porperly...my suggestion get a BJC for cheap with extra shielding, they offer one specially for those problems, just ask them, and try it out to see if the problem goes away...if not return them for a full refund...

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #9 of 12
is it the RCA cable acting as an atenna for the darkvoice 337 amp? although removing RCA removes the Radio signal, other cables like taralabs which I borrowed also have such problem

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #10 of 12
Did the amp ever worked before without any RFI?
It is possible that the connector on th amp is defective.

Normally for the coax cable to work and shield RFI. The external shield needed to be grounded. The shield on the cable is grounded to the cable's connector (external part of the RCA). That part is connected to the female connector on the amp which in turn connected to the ground. If any part of this ground is broken, then yes you have an antenna.

If you have multimeter, you can try and ohm it out.

BTW this could also be caused by cold solder joint of the amp.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the amp ever worked before without any RFI?
It is possible that the connector on th amp is defective.

Normally for the coax cable to work and shield RFI. The external shield needed to be grounded. The shield on the cable is grounded to the cable's connector (external part of the RCA). That part is connected to the female connector on the amp which in turn connected to the ground. If any part of this ground is broken, then yes you have an antenna.

If you have multimeter, you can try and ohm it out.

BTW this could also be caused by cold solder joint of the amp.

I check the RCA shield is grounded, RCA plug external is grounded

I aint sure if the amp initially work

Mar 14, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Hmmm... I don't know what possibly the problem is. Something is most likely loose. Does this happen to other amp, player etc. My gut feeling is your amp might have a problem with cold solder joint.

You need to have someone look at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back